PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2011 Properties Box VS. Project Browser

kmarquis
2010-07-29, 02:12 PM
I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem but I feel like I'm fighting with the Properites Box and the Project Browser all day long. I'm constantly having to stretch them up and down. If I use the Properties box for something and then go do some work and I need to go back to it I find that it's shrunk way down and the Project Browser is taking up the whole side column. I think I re-adjust the boxes every 3 minutes. Is there a way to lock them or should I un-dock them? It's very annoying and I like the way it was in 2010 better.

eric.piotrowicz
2010-07-29, 02:22 PM
That sounds ultra annoying, I've mine undocked on my second screen and have no problems with needing to resize constantly. I'd say even if you are on one screen undock both and over lap them so you can click back and forth between them without needing to resize each time.

Ning Zhou
2010-07-29, 02:58 PM
as Steve Stafford recommended in http://www.revitoped.com/:
Project Browser on left, Properties Box on right

patricks
2010-07-29, 03:06 PM

Since we got our 24" monitors at our office earlier this year, I have always had both boxes docked, full height, and haven't had any problems.

I started with PB left and PP right as Steve mentions in the link above, but recently switched to both being on the left side. PP on far left and PB just inside. This sort of hearkens back to the "classic" interface setup, and groups things closer together between the properties palette and option in the options bar.

Dave Jones
2010-07-29, 05:35 PM

I changed to this setup on my primary 24" wide screen monitor a couple of weeks ago and it's amazing how much easier it is to navigate both project files and properties. I haven't had a need to stretch the dialogs up or down since switching

MikeJarosz
2010-07-29, 05:52 PM
Another option: get a two screen setup. I have properties and browser open wide on one screen, and my data open wide on the other.

Otherwise, I would agree with you. The browser/properties/model screens all on one is a never ending battle. And that ribbon! Takes up even more space. The factory needs to reconsider how much can be shoehorned onto one screen.

TroyGates
2010-07-29, 06:28 PM
You could mimic the previous properties box by floating it over your working area and toggling it on and off with the keyboard shortcut (PP, VP or CTRL-1) or by closing with the X and reopening with right-click -> properties.

patricks
2010-07-29, 10:04 PM
Another option: get a two screen setup. I have properties and browser open wide on one screen, and my data open wide on the other.

Otherwise, I would agree with you. The browser/properties/model screens all on one is a never ending battle. And that ribbon! Takes up even more space. The factory needs to reconsider how much can be shoehorned onto one screen.

I have 2 screens but I like to have my 2nd one wide open for e-mail, browser, AutoCAD, etc.

24" widescreen at 1980x1200 is plenty of room IMHO to have both palettes docked on-screen along with the view area.

luke.s.johnson
2010-07-30, 12:31 AM
I have 2 screens but I like to have my 2nd one wide open for e-mail, browser, AutoCAD, etc.

24" widescreen at 1980x1200 is plenty of room IMHO to have both palettes docked on-screen along with the view area.

I agree.

Would be nice to eventually go 27 or 30 inch though.

Valkin
2010-07-30, 01:49 PM
Fighting the two dialog boxes, can't say that I've been doing that. On my desk top I have the Properties box pulled off to my second screen and on my lap top I have the Project Browser docked to the left and the Properties box docked to the right as Steve suggested.

Dave Jones
2010-07-30, 03:23 PM
I agree.

Would be nice to eventually go 27 or 30 inch though.

remember the days of single 14" monitors? HTH did we get any work done?

The only problem I see with bigger and bigger monitors is neck carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm already swiveling my head 90+ degrees with two 24" widescreens and after a normal 10-12 hour day around here my neck is sore. I vote for virtual monitors that you could enlarge, reduce, tile, or cascade the display as required.

opesch
2010-08-04, 09:24 AM
At my office, I use a dual 20" layout.... but for travelling/site visit I've a 12" HP TX2 Tablet which works perfectly with the new touch/pen-oriented ribbon UI (no needs for keyboard, even for Esc or Enter !) unless considering those sticky properties & project browser tablettes which takes half of the screen. (keyboard shortcuts being not an option nor the fastidious R-click +properties +close)

Why haven't they set a autohide option like in all other autodesk apps and like they does for the ribbon itselfs (where there it draws some usability by adding delays to start each command) ???

New UI (from Microsoft and followed by Autodesk with some good improvements) are for sure touch minded and now that we've seen Revit working smoothly on lots of non-PC terminals (from winmobile phones to Macs), I realy don't understand this missing option !

I already put this desire to the French whishlist... maybe should I send it to the factory ?

DoTheBIM
2010-08-04, 02:44 PM
I didn't see this mentioned yet, but if you absolutely can't stand the Properties Palette. You can just turn it off and use the old behavior by getting accustomed to shortcut keys and the standard windows properties shortcut

Just press Alt+Enter ... you've got your old static properties dialog that is now resizable as well.

Personally I like the live properties but then I have two 19" monitors on which I drag the browser and properties to the monitor on the right. Wish I had at least one of them as a 24 or better.

lhanyok
2010-11-19, 04:36 PM
I have a user complaining that every time she syncs to central (there are 2 other people working on the project) her project browser & properties palette resize themselves. She is working with them stacked on top of each other on the left side of the screen. Has anyone else noticed this type of behavior?

twiceroadsfool
2010-11-19, 04:45 PM
I have a user complaining that every time she syncs to central (there are 2 other people working on the project) her project browser & properties palette resize themselves. She is working with them stacked on top of each other on the left side of the screen. Has anyone else noticed this type of behavior?

Ive had a few machines that were doing that as well. Havent figured out what the cause is yet. it makes the one on top practically full height, and the one on the bottom becomes unuseable, and they have to keep moving it. Im planning on trying the UI reset script on them.

Otherwise, mine is PB far left, PP right next to it, both docked. Ive got a 1920x1200 monitor and still have PLENTY of room to work. I keep the second monitor for comm devices, email, documents, etc.

PP on the right side is no good IMHO, as the type selector is then on the opposite side as all of the buttons that INITIATE the type selector, like the wall tool, etc. I suppose o could put the browser over there, but i dnt see the point in having things on opposite sides of the monitor.

SCShell
2010-11-23, 12:58 AM
remember the days of single 14" monitors? HTH did we get any work done?

Dang, I was thinking the exact same thing....only about my 42" Mayline & Spiral. When everybody was going to 30x42 sheets, I had to stick with 24x36 because of my old trusty 42!
My, how times have changed!
Steve

Dave Jones
2010-11-23, 01:05 AM
Dang, I was thinking the exact same thing....only about my 42" Mayline & Spiral. When everybody was going to 30x42 sheets, I had to stick with 24x36 because of my old trusty 42!
My, how times have changed!
Steve

cripes, I started on the boards in '69 using a bone chisel and a stone hammer...seemed so anyway. I think of the old ink on mylar presentations everytime I plop a 3d view on a sheet now. Minutes vs days :lol:

twiceroadsfool
2010-11-23, 01:21 AM
cripes, I started on the boards in '69 using a bone chisel and a stone hammer...seemed so anyway. I think of the old ink on mylar presentations everytime I plop a 3d view on a sheet now. Minutes vs days :lol:

FWIW, my Vemco Lefty swingarm is on the wall, above my home computer, since this apartment is too small for a real drafting table. Ive got a table big enough for 36x48, and as soon as i move again im setting that thing up. I love working in Revit for a living, but i love drafting my hand to kick back. :)

SCShell
2010-11-28, 05:16 PM
FWIW, my Vemco Lefty swingarm is on the wall, above my home computer, since this apartment is too small for a real drafting table. Ive got a table big enough for 36x48, and as soon as i move again im setting that thing up. I love working in Revit for a living, but i love drafting my hand to kick back. :)

My monitors float over my sloping Mayline board with telescoping arms since it was the only way to mount two monitors on a sloping surface and keep them both level with each other.
I still work with my electric eraser hanging on my left, my lead pointer and bean bag paper weights.
(call me a sentimentalist!)
Steven

Dave Jones
2010-11-28, 05:20 PM
My monitors float over my sloping Mayline board with telescoping arms since it was the only way to mount two monitors on a sloping surface and keep them both level with each other.
I still work with my electric eraser hanging on my left, my lead pointer and bean bag paper weights.
(call me a sentimentalist!)
Steven

I find my electric eraser to be to hard on the screen surfaces of my monitors so I've dumped it for White-Out :p

Alex Page
2010-11-29, 01:03 AM
I find my electric eraser to be to hard on the screen surfaces of my monitors so I've dumped it for White-Out :p

.....and putting the hatching on the back side of the screen is really hard as well...

patricks
2010-11-29, 06:53 PM
Anybody want to buy a 48" Mayline? Got one taking up space in my garage. :p

SCShell
2010-11-30, 01:19 PM
flmao! Funny!

SCShell
2010-11-30, 01:20 PM
.....and putting the hatching on the back side of the screen is really hard as well...
STILL funny!!!!