PDA

View Full Version : All I want is area.

jeffery.saad
2010-07-29, 03:54 PM
Can Revit give me a quick area when I draw a object? I don't want to make it a floor or a region yet. I just want it to say length X width= Area.

Scott D Davis
2010-07-29, 04:21 PM
Filled region will report area. If you just draw 4 lines as a box, then no. 4 walls with a room object will report area. An area plan will report area. What are you trying to draw?

jeffery.saad
2010-07-29, 04:27 PM
I'm starting to draw a base of a mass that is associated with a program area. To get a really quick size of a building. What I'm really looking for is the polyline command in acad and list.

patricks
2010-07-29, 04:46 PM
I see that no areas are reported in the Conceptual Model editor. Would be nice for the area of a face to report when you select it.

jsnyder.68308
2010-07-29, 06:27 PM
Try using a property line. Area will be listed in the properties palette.

jeffery.saad
2010-07-29, 06:43 PM
Try using a property line. Area will be listed in the properties palette.

That works but not in a 3d view. Also once I covert those lines into a mass. I back to where I started.

jeffh
2010-07-29, 06:48 PM
That works but not in a 3d view. Also once I covert those lines into a mass. I back to where I started.

If you apply mass floors to the mass objects you can schedule floor areas.

Alfredo Medina
2010-07-29, 06:53 PM
I'm starting to draw a base of a mass that is associated with a program area. To get a really quick size of a building. What I'm really looking for is the polyline command in acad and list.

No Polyline command... nor List command... Good news is there are Revit methods: Use a mass, then assign mass floors to levels. The properties window will report a flexible area all the time, and you can even schedule those areas for your preliminary design area studies.

EDIT: Oops, Jeff, sorry, it seems that we were posting at the same time, but you beat me.

jeffery.saad
2010-07-29, 07:01 PM
No Polyline command... nor List command... Good news is there are Revit methods: Use a mass, then assign mass floors to levels. The properties window will report a flexible area all the time, and you can even schedule those areas for your preliminary design area studies.

EDIT: Oops, Jeff, sorry, it seems that we were posting at the same time, but you beat me.

It's a work flow issue I have had with Revit for a while I was hoping the 2011 issue would have done something about it.

Scott D Davis
2010-07-29, 07:29 PM
It's a work flow issue I have had with Revit for a while I was hoping the 2011 issue would have done something about it.

Not sure I understand the issue? Masses report area, as others have explained, using Mass Floors. You can create a Mass with parameters and calculated values that will allow you to set an Area in the properties, and then when you manipulate that Mass, the Area is a constant while the length or width will adjust to a new size.

twiceroadsfool
2010-07-29, 08:59 PM
If all you want to do is draw lines anf get Areas, use an Area Plan. And Area Boundary Lines. Doesnt get any more like AutoCAD than that.

DoTheBIM
2010-07-30, 01:59 PM
Not sure I understand the issue? Masses report area, as others have explained, using Mass Floors. You can create a Mass with parameters and calculated values that will allow you to set an Area in the properties, and then when you manipulate that Mass, the Area is a constant while the length or width will adjust to a new size.Workflow issue means... you can't get the information you desire when you *think* you need it or when it might be handy to know prior to moving forward. I understand the OP's issue and share that frustration. It's not possible to get the information when he wants it. Period. You must do a certain amount of work before you can acquire the information and/or actually do duplicate work (aka draw a filled region on top of an object). In this case both must happen. I believe the OP wouldn't mind drawing in extra filled region if you had to, but it's not possible while your creating a sketch or an in place mass/family object.

jeffery.saad
2010-08-18, 04:58 PM
You are correct my friend. Thank you very much

Workflow issue means... you can't get the information you desire when you *think* you need it or when it might be handy to know prior to moving forward. I understand the OP's issue and share that frustration. It's not possible to get the information when he wants it. Period. You must do a certain amount of work before you can acquire the information and/or actually do duplicate work (aka draw a filled region on top of an object). In this case both must happen. I believe the OP wouldn't mind drawing in extra filled region if you had to, but it's not possible while your creating a sketch or an in place mass/family object.

cliff collins
2010-08-18, 05:58 PM
I agree with Aaron,

Best choice is to use an Area Plan--very similar to polylines in Cad for calculating area.
Then Schedule the Areas.

Or place a Room--tells you the area in Properties--Tag it and it will show Area,
create a Room Schedule, area shows up--make changes, all area reports update automatically.
(try that with your old cad software.....)

i.e. there are lots of different ways Revit can quickly give you Areas.
The Area Plan is well suited to the task.

cheers

DoTheBIM
2010-08-19, 01:33 AM
...there are lots of different ways Revit can quickly give you Areas... but not necessarily at the time you really want to know the area. Try placing a room or area boundary line while sketching a floor object.;) It's a work flow thang.

cliff collins
2010-08-19, 01:44 PM
The floor object will report Area, as soon as you finish the sketch.

Do you want it to report Area while in sketch mode, in real-time?

cheers

DoTheBIM
2010-08-19, 02:17 PM
The floor object will report Area, as soon as you finish the sketch.

Do you want it to report Area while in sketch mode, in real-time?

cheers
Ding, Ding, Ding!!! We have a winner!

You get area feedback as you close the area boundary lines, why can't more things like floors or roofs by footprint give this kind of feedback as you close the boundary.

It's a workflow thing.

On a more serious note, I personally could care less, but was just trying to help the OP get his point across because I can share that frustration in multiple areas of the program not just areas of floors or even areas in general. You have to "Finish" many things before you can get information that "could" be available sooner so you don't have to finish, edit, finish, edit, finish, etc.

jsteinhauer
2012-12-19, 05:42 PM
Hey All,

I'm piggy backing on this thread, to ask if there is a way to tag the area of a filled region. I am trying to show a manufacturer that their different shaped objects do not have the same area/volume. I don't want to model a family because I already have a wall that represents their product. Area is available under the properties of each filled region, but I would like to drop a tag onto the filled region to save myself manual data entry/potential errors. If anyone can help, I'd be extremely grateful.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

Alfredo Medina
2012-12-20, 03:57 AM
What kind of shapes are you referring to? Can you provide an example?

cdatechguy
2012-12-20, 05:02 AM
Hey All,

I'm piggy backing on this thread, to ask if there is a way to tag the area of a filled region. I am trying to show a manufacturer that their different shaped objects do not have the same area/volume. I don't want to model a family because I already have a wall that represents their product. Area is available under the properties of each filled region, but I would like to drop a tag onto the filled region to save myself manual data entry/potential errors. If anyone can help, I'd be extremely grateful.

Cheers,
Jeff S.
Just create an area plan....then you can tag with an area tag....

jsteinhauer
2012-12-20, 02:46 PM
What kind of shapes are you referring to? Can you provide an example?

Hi Alfredo,

I am looking at Insulated Concrete Forms (ICFs). The architectural brochure lists the different shapes, but the volume of concrete doesn't change. I've attached an image of the brochure, and the drafting view from Revit. I guess that's why its call estimating, not exacting.

Thanks,
Jeff S.

Alfredo Medina
2012-12-20, 03:53 PM
As you have seen, the area parameter cannot be included in the tag of a detail item. However, you still have choices. I wonder if this idea works for you: It is possible to create a detail item family that contains a filled region, and a label. The label is a nested generic annotation family, and works with a parameter of area type. In the detail family, the label is tied to a local parameter, of area type, that calculates the area of the filled region by doing (side1 + side2) * (height /2) Note: this will eliminate manual input of the area, but the issue is that Revit does not schedule detail items.

cdatechguy
2012-12-20, 04:15 PM
Someone needs to update their excel calculations from the looks of that table....