PDA

View Full Version : wall cut through slab / ceiling

Ning Zhou
2010-08-03, 09:24 PM
suppose i have a drywall ceiling or a drywall slab layer, and i want material takeoff of that drywall, how do you guys "remove" the drywall portions cutted through by walls especially by interior walls? seems cut or join geometry doesn't work, well, besides editing profile or cut openings, any good workaround? thanks.

cliff collins
2010-08-03, 09:28 PM
Create the drywall ceiling and when in sketch mode, use tab key to select the lines of all the walls, which will cut out around them. Finish sketch, and then check properties
of the ceiling for Area.

just a possible idea.......

cheers

Edit: after thinking about this, I'd bet a ceiling contractor would just figure the entire Area of the room and purchase enough sheets of drywall to cover the whole area--and allow a waste contingency for the "holes" where walls penetrate the gyp.
So going thru the exercise in Revit may not be required.

Ning Zhou
2010-08-03, 09:37 PM
thanks cliff, looks like that's the only way (?).
i don't understand why
1) cannot directly use "Cut Geometry"
2) "Join Geometry" seems work, but it will only cut wall(s) off, not other way round

in fact, what kind of object(s) that wall can actually cut through? i mean in material takeoff terms.
when using "Join Geometry", i can understand that wall being cut off by slab, but don't understand why wall is overrun by ceiling.