PDA

View Full Version : trying to get a Vibility Formula to work

rtaube
2010-08-05, 12:39 PM
So I've applied a visibility parameter to 3 options. (Option1, Option2, Option3). When Option1 is selected, the other two are turned off, and so on. This is fairly easy with 2 options, because I can just apply the formula

Option2 = not(Option1)

but I'm racking my brains trying to figure out how to get 3 to work. Ideally, each would have a check box that could be clicked, turning off the checkboxes for the other parameters.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

rtaube
2010-08-05, 01:16 PM
Just saw this post over in the Families side, should do the trick:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=122055

twiceroadsfool
2010-08-05, 01:20 PM
Make an Integer parameter.

Set Option 1 = (Integer = 1)
Option 2 = (Integer = 2)

Then if you have some OTHER factor also controlling it, use an And statement.

Option 3 = and (Integer = 3), OptionOn)

Where OptionOn is a yes/no.

Alfredo Medina
2010-08-05, 01:29 PM
Maybe you can create types to avoid the use of formulas. See illustration.

rtaube
2010-08-05, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the help Aaron, but I don't seem to be understanding it. From what I can tell from your post I need to create 4 parameters.

First column (Parameters)
Option1, Option2, Option3 are Integer Parameters, while OptionOn is a Yes/No Paramter.

In the second column (Values):
The Value of Option1 is set to 1, the Value of Option2 is set to 2.

3rd column (Formulas)
Option3 = and (Integer = 3), OptionOn)

I'm not really sure how each parameter is turning on/off the other two, or what you mean by other factors. These three parameters are self-contained, not affected by anything else. Basically, I'm building a sign that can be mounted on the top, left or right. Only one type of bracket will be used at a time. I would just use two parameters (Top and Side) and flip arrow, but there is text involved which won't work well with the text.

Cheers,

rtaube
2010-08-05, 01:57 PM
Thanks Alfredo, that would be the most ideal way to go, however, with this particular project, I'm building a Family of exit signs for a manufacturer, and the types are derived from the Catalog Number, which control various other parameters. (Wattage, Voltage, Sign Color, etc.)

twiceroadsfool
2010-08-05, 02:00 PM
Sorry for the confusion, heres what you do:

Parameter name | Type | Formula

OptionInt | Integer | None (The user enters the integer value here)
Option1 | Yes/no | =(OptionInt = 1)
Option2 | Yes/no | =(OptionInt = 2)
Option3 | Yes/no | =(OptionInt = 3)

The extra parameter was just in case you wanted an ADDITIONAL condition, besides the integer. So maybe Option2 is only releveant if the Selection is "2" and the "Option Exists" parameter is checked. Then you can go:

Option 2 | Yes/no | =and(OptionInt=2, OptionExists)

Family Types is another way to go, but it depends on how you want it to work, and in some caes, family types are a pain and arent efficient for designers. Our toilet stalls have provisions to flip the door swings left to right, and in and out. While in and out DOES pertain to the accessibility of the stalls (handled with types), the left and right is just an orientation thing. But it cant be done with mirroring since the accessories start flipping around too. So there are "and" statements (instance) driven by "Flip" yes/no parameters, etc.

rtaube
2010-08-05, 02:41 PM

OptionInt | Integer | None (The user enters the integer value here)
Option1 | Yes/no | =(OptionInt = 1)
Option2 | Yes/no | =(OptionInt = 2)
Option3 | Yes/no | =(OptionInt = 3)

That works perfect Aaron! thanks!

Just thinking about ease of use, would it be possible to use Text instead of Integer for the OptionInt's Type of Paramter? I'm not sure that Revit can do that yet.. or at least I couldn't make it work.

I was thinking maybe I could put it together this way:

Mounting_Type | Text | None (Rather than typing in a number, the user selects from a dropdown list of choices populated by available options derived from below)
Top_Mount | Yes/no | =(Mounting_Type = Top_Mount )
Side_Mount_R | Yes/no | =(Mounting_Type = Side_Mount_R )
Side_Mount_L | Yes/no | =(Mounting_Type = Side_Mount_L )

might be wishful thinking

i could also just name my options (1. Top Mount, 2. Side Mount R, 3. Side Mount L) and they would be able to infer rather easily.

Thanks again for your help

twiceroadsfool
2010-08-05, 04:11 PM
It wont let you use Text as an option, im pretty sure.