PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rafter or Truss option

Robert_DeFranco
2010-08-05, 01:23 PM
I'm creating a simple hip roof in Revit 2010, but my instance properties does not allow to choose between rafter or truss construction. Is there anything special the needs to be done for this property to show up in the construction parameters. The way I have created the roof is by using a 1'-6" offset of my exterior walls and then defining the slopes of each face. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

Alfredo Medina
2010-08-05, 02:20 PM
I have reproduced the steps that you have described, using 2010, and my "Rafter or Truss" parameter is available for change. It is difficult to tell what might be causing this without looking at the file.

Robert_DeFranco
2010-08-05, 02:50 PM
Thanks for your response Alfredo, I've tried creating it again just by using the OTB generic roof types and still no parameter. Is there any chance you could list the steps your using so that I could compare? Again, thank you for your help in this matter.

Alfredo Medina
2010-08-05, 03:17 PM
What I am doing is this: From a second floor plan (or site plan), Home > Roof > Roof by footprint > offset = 1'-6" > pick walls > (select edges, edges defines slope),(roof type is "Generic x mm" ) > Finish . Then, I select the roof, and the parameter is there, available for change.

Robert_DeFranco
2010-08-05, 04:48 PM
I was able to find the truss/rafter option, I didn't realize that you need to pick the walls for that parameter to be available, (newbie mistake). The problem that I continue to have is where revit places the pitch point or base point of my truss from. Do you have any suggestions of what would best to solve this problem, if I move it down manually then the height I want for the top of my truss is incorrect.

Alfredo Medina
2010-08-05, 05:02 PM
Check this other similar thread from the Autodesk forum, especially Jeff Hanson's reply; look at the image he posted about Roof conditions:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-Architecture/Roof-roof/m-p/2726761/highlight/true#M45663

DoTheBIM
2010-08-06, 02:09 PM
I rarely pay attention to roof offsets or truss/rafter setting anymore. Simply make your roof outliine as you need and pitched as you need. Move the roof up or down in section or elevation to get it where you need. I only get into offsets if I have eaves that aren't all at the same elevation in one roof object.