PDA

View Full Version : Revision Clouds are drafting not model

barrie.sharp
2010-08-06, 03:28 PM
Why are revision clouds view specific? When I change a wall that shows up in several views, the revision cloud has to be drawn in each to register on the sheet. I know they would have to be 3D to work completely but model line behavior would at least put them in view ranges and within elevation extents.

What procedures do people use? Revision clouds on the sheet or in the views?

patricks
2010-08-06, 06:54 PM
I usually just do them all on sheets because it's faster than having to go in and out of every view. Kind of a pain if the view moves on the sheet, but I just deal with it.

Clouds are annotations and therefore go in a single view only.

martijnderiet
2010-08-07, 12:42 PM
Me too, always on sheet.
I do agree that they could be more integrated in the model. I am tinkering with a tag that does the same, only it's applied to the element. in that way, you can schedule the changed elements and create a custom revision schedule on your sheets. will upload when finished...

twiceroadsfool
2010-08-07, 05:41 PM
Revit is long overdue for a tool similar to "Track Changes" in Microsoft Word. It needs to be an automated process. For now, we draw them on the sheet, not in the view. Both ways have pros and cons, its a Chevy versus Ford thing. But you cant draw them IN a schedule, and you end up "on the sheet" anyway.

FWIW, there was a toolbar in Revit called Track Changes, that was never used. It used to show up in the old UI, as a grayed out toolbar with grayed out buttons, if you tinkered with the ini file a bit.

While it doesnt pacify the need, i LIKE to think it means they recognize the need, and HAD an idea of what it should do. Whether or not that idea ever came to an empasse or not is well above my head.

barrie.sharp
2010-08-09, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the replies. Track changes would be good. Infact, that was the impression I had when purchasing Revit, that it could record changes and roll back to previous versions.

Perhaps when 'Issued' is ticked, Revit could shapshot the project and create a revision backup in a Revision folder. It could compare databases to track/find changes when asked to and populate the shedule. By and by, keep dreaming eh.

One thought I had reading these posts. There could be a Detail group called revisions to host all clouds. You can copy and paste 'aligned to selected views' to add it to each view. When a revision needs to be added, just edit the detail group to populate all views. You would need a group for each level and elevation and a global plan for elements that go through several levels (exterior walls) which can all be added to the template. When extra views are created, you would need to add the detail. I don't know if this creates more or less maintainence or manual editing. What's everyones initial feelings?

Steve_Stafford
2010-08-10, 05:28 AM
...FWIW, there was a toolbar in Revit called Track Changes, that was never used. It used to show up in the old UI, as a grayed out toolbar with grayed out buttons, if you tinkered with the ini file a bit...That was associated with a Revit Structure add-on. I think it started showing up when they extended them out to the other versions. You may remember getting a message about resetting track changes at one point, message was related to that too.

twiceroadsfool
2010-08-10, 01:20 PM
Good to know. I just noticed its still in the ribbon for RAC 2010 as well, but is gone in RAC 2011. I was thinking it was like Microsofts track changes. Too bad, that would be sweet. :)