PDA

View Full Version : Section Labels

Exar Kun
2004-12-17, 01:43 AM
Is it possible to have section references automatically generated as letters rather than numbers? Our office standard is to have sections shown as letters and then details as numbers so as not to confuse things.

Also, how can I pick which sheet the section references. Currently I have a sheet of sections and some of these sections are referencing other sections on the page when they should be referencing the floor plans they were drawn on.

beegee
2004-12-17, 08:42 AM
Is it possible to have section references automatically generated as letters rather than numbers? Our office standard is to have sections shown as letters and then details as numbers so as not to confuse things.
I did some checking and section view names appear to be hardwaired to use numerals as the default.

Also, how can I pick which sheet the section references. Currently I have a sheet of sections and some of these sections are referencing other sections on the page when they should be referencing the floor plans they were drawn on

Swap your section head for the type " M-Section Head filled w name " Does that fix it ?

I remember that this, or a similar problem, happened to someone sometime ago, and I thought it had been repaired in subsequent builds / releases. I'll check that when I get time.

LRaiz
2004-12-17, 01:42 PM

Automatically generated view names are not likely to be to your liking anyway. Fortunately you can rename them to anything and do it easily. You can do it using context menu of the browser. However if many views are to be renamed then it is easier to do it using a schedule (View | New | View list).

Exar Kun
2004-12-19, 11:16 PM
Swap your section head for the type " M-Section Head filled w name " Does that fix it ?

I remember that this, or a similar problem, happened to someone sometime ago, and I thought it had been repaired in subsequent builds / releases. I'll check that when I get time.

Sorry, I think I may have poorly worded my question. It's the section view label that is incorrectly referencing the sheet that the section was drawn on. Say I draw two sections on sheet A01, perpendicular to each other, and put them on sheet A05. Now, each of the sections on A05 has also generated the section lines for the other section, as it should. However, when I place the views, the view labels shows these sections as having referenced the other section on A05 rather than A01.

I'm not sure if this is the issue you had in mind. Changing the section tags doesn't fix the problem, nor does redrawing the sections. If they cross I get the problem. Interesting though, I recreated this situation in a new project and both the sections referenced the floor plan as they should. So maybe it's a project specific problem?

aaronrumple
2004-12-19, 11:34 PM
Sounds like when you placed the section you checked the "Reference other View" box...

beegee
2004-12-20, 12:28 AM
Exar,

I thought that you may have changed/ customized your annotation head family, so that replacing with a clean one may have shown where the problem lay.

The reference in an earlier thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=2863&page=1&pp=10&highlight=section+reference)to this problem, received this response from cmahoney :-

For what it's worth, I have received confirmation from development that this is a bug. Apparently all drafting views will use as their reference the
first drafting view that exists in the Drawing Sheet set. Unless a view
that actually references the drafting view appears earlier in the set. We
are working on a fix. In the meantime, the only workaround that I can
suggest is to use a view title that omits the reference sheet parameter and
to place that information in manually using text. Sorry for the
inconvenience.

Chris Mahoney, AIA
I thought that problem had been fixed, but yours is sounding similar.

Exar Kun
2004-12-20, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Aaron but Beegee's nailed it. Mine is exactly the same issue as described in that thread. This was a project that was brought in from 6.1 so there may, somehow, be an issue with that if, indeed, the problem was fixed in 7.0. I'll use the work around they suggest in the mean time.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

bclarch
2004-12-20, 04:27 PM
If you are currently working in 7.0 you might want to try deleting the sections and recreating them in 7.0. If you have added detailing to the sections you could create the new sections first and then cut and paste the detailing before deleting the old ones.

Exar Kun
2004-12-20, 11:44 PM
Thanks but the sections have indeed been created within 7.0