PDA

View Full Version : Linking SKP files can be done, despite Autodesk saying it can't

brenehan
2010-08-07, 03:28 AM
I've been looking into Revit 2011 and linking Sketchup (skp) files. (Its been a few version back since I've look at it)

Accourding to the Autodesk Revit Architecture 2011 help:
"Note: Revit Architecture does not support linking of SketchUp files. As a result, if you import a SketchUp file into a Revit project and later make changes to the SketchUp file, you cannot easily update the Revit project to reflect the changes."

However, if I save a sktechup pro 7.1 file to a 6 .skp format, I can link it directly into a Revit Arch 2011 sp 1 Generic model in-place family with out any problems. It appears in my links (see image) and if I update the linked skp file, reload it in revit it updates fine. This it links fine.

Am I missing something, or did Autodesk forget to update this part of the help section?

jeffh
2010-08-07, 03:57 AM
I think this is the way it has always been. You can link inot a family but not directly into the project. I think this is what the line in help is referring to.

brenehan
2010-08-07, 07:49 AM
I think this is the way it has always been. You can link inot a family but not directly into the project. I think this is what the line in help is referring to.

Thanks Jeffh

You mean to the other way around, yeah!.
You can link CAD format file into a project, but only import it into a family.

This is the entire extract for the help section.

"Google™ SketchUp® is a general purpose modeling and visualization tool. Revit Architecture uses building information modeling (BIM), in which building elements understand their relationship to each other. When working on a design project, you can use both products to leverage the unique strengths of each. For example:

•If you want to model an initial design pass or quickly model a single element, start with SketchUp. Later, use Revit Architecture to refine the design.
•If you want to design entire building masses and then associate real building elements to them, use SketchUp for the design phase. Later use Revit Architecture for the detailed planning phase.

To use a SketchUp design in Revit Architecture, import a SKP file from SketchUp directly into Revit Architecture. As an alternative, you can use SketchUp to export a DWG file, and then import that DWG file into Revit Architecture.

To incorporate a SketchUp design into a Revit project, use the following general process:

1.Use Revit Architecture to create a family outside the project or an in-place family within the project.
2.Import the SketchUp file into the family.
3.If you created the family outside the project, load the family into the project.

Note. Revit Architecture does not support linking of SketchUp files. As a result, if you import a SketchUp file into a Revit project and later make changes to the SketchUp file, you cannot easily update the Revit project to reflect the changes. Therefore, complete as much of the design in SketchUp as possible before importing it into Revit Architecture. "

So I think it is referring to loadable family files, but it is easy to misunderstand. If you had moddeled an entire project in Sketchup, You would think it would be better workflow to link it directly into an in-place family in the Revit project file or a seperate rvt project. With out the link capabality, I'm not seeing the benifite of a loadable family file. For a single component of a building yes, but not the entire building.

Thanks
Brian

ree.espinoza
2010-08-08, 01:31 AM
Hmmmmmm very interesting

Iv'e been away for a little while jump from 2009 architecture Revit to 2011 Revit structure.

So... I have an obj that was exported from rapid form for google earth extension. Can this be brought into sketchup and then into Revit?

ree.espinoza
2010-08-08, 01:58 AM
okay no kml
3ds comes in so far

jeffh
2010-08-09, 01:28 PM
Thanks Jeffh

You mean to the other way around, yeah!.
You can link CAD format file into a project, but only import it into a family.

See even I am confused. :? :) I think I did just switch it around by accident when I wrote it. I will pass this along to the Help team so they can take a look at it and make it more clear.

mike.plaudis
2010-08-19, 10:40 PM
Linking hasn't been a problem for me, but can somone help or direct me to some information on how to get the materials to show up in a Revit Rendering from a sketchup model (or CAD Block exported into a Revit Family). I have tried a few different ways but the sketchup model always comes in on the default grey material. Please Help!!!!