PDA

View Full Version : Erroneous "Cannot open central + local model" error message

Rustle
2010-08-09, 08:30 PM
I have three models that are linked to each other and we are not able to open them in the same instance of Revit Arch 2011. Attached is the message.

There is a core, skin, and interior (TI) model. We are not opening the centrals but this message comes up. It worked fine in 2010 but now in 2011 this erroneous message make us open multiple sessions of revit to work and we can't uses Transfer Project Standards. The only work around is to unload all the links in each file before trying to open them.

Anyone else have this problem?

twiceroadsfool
2010-08-09, 09:15 PM
Yep. File a Feedback Form about it, several of us already have, and the Factory is aware it s a problem. The more feedback they get, the more important it becomes. The functionality was altered in 2011.

Steve_Stafford
2010-08-10, 04:00 AM
Removed or fixed...I guess that depends on your perspective. :smile: The programmers probably fixed the inconsistency since you are not allowed to open linked files simultaneously in the same session of Revit when worksets are not involved. Since locals and central "speak" to each other constantly they may have removed this "loophole" to avoid corruption that may or may not have been attributed to this practice. Just speculating wildly...

twiceroadsfool
2010-08-10, 01:23 PM
Thats fair. It was a poor choice of words. Having said that, i think the nature of a central/local relationship, plus every users *instance* of the Link being a quasi-time-stamped item, we really need it back the way it was.

Rustle
2010-08-12, 04:41 PM
Need is a good word. I've already submitted this to Autodesk but they have stopped communicationg with me on it so I thought I would see what others know. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Thanks.

jj mac
2010-09-13, 04:54 PM
Just wanted to voice my concern on this too. If this was in fact known to be a source of corruption I am all for getting rid of it. However, we became somewhat dependent on this functionality for copy/paste operations that we now cannot do. With that being said we have a work-around for the problem, and that is to do a direct copy/paste from the loaded linked file. It seems to work ok but is quirky.