PDA

View Full Version : Is there any easy way to find constraints?

rtaube
2010-08-10, 01:32 PM
simplified example of my problem:
I have two reference planes in an elevation, and a level. Reference Plane #1 has a 10' height off of the level. I want Reference Plane #2 to always be 1' below Reference Plane #1. When I dimension and lock it, I get the error "Locking this dimension would overconstrain the sketch."

The problem is that in no other views is this Reference Plane constrained. I can even drag it around with the mouse and it doesn't affect anything.

Is there any easy way to find constraints?

cliff collins
2010-08-10, 02:01 PM
Can you dimension and lock Ref. Plane # 2 from the Level, instead of Ref. Plane #1?

Then dimension/lock Ref. Plane #1 from the Level as well?

just a thought

cheers

martijnderiet
2010-08-11, 11:31 AM
What you need to do is set the workplane for nr 2 on nr 1. Default this workplane will lie on the level it's placed on but this gives you an overconstrain.
What you tell Revit to do is the following:

1. RP #1 = 10` above the level. Workplane = level
2. RP #2 = 9` above level. Workplane = level
3. RP #2 = RP #1 - 1`. This is always correct given the placement so this means it's an overconstrain. Unfortunately Revit doesn't understand that you will sometimes move #1 and expect #2 to move accordingly. This is because you instructed Revit to place RP #2 relatively to the Level. Move the level, and both workplanes will move accordingly.

If you select RP #2, click on Set Workplane and then select RP #1 you should be able to place the dimensions and constraints you need.