PDA

View Full Version : Need help with this family

bob.86982
2010-08-10, 04:14 PM
This tapered column pedestal works how I want it to but the stone surface material displays horizontal on two opposite sides and vertical on the other two opposite sides. The column pedestal maintains its top dimensions and its taper (slope per foot) as defined by a formula as I want it to, but I don't understand whats happening with the material.

cliff collins
2010-08-10, 04:28 PM
Take a look at the attached.

cheers

bob.86982
2010-08-10, 04:29 PM
I see the material didn't come thru with the attachment. If you load it into a project and apply the stone material you will see the problem.

cliff collins
2010-08-10, 04:31 PM
I indeed loaded it into a project and it works on all 4 sides.

Turn on realistic view and you should see the material map,
or in hidden line view you can see the surface pattern when you zoom in.

cheers

Ning Zhou
2010-08-10, 04:38 PM
i had similar issue before w/ nested family, i had to create separate material w/ same pattern but rotated, not a good solution.
well, by sharing nested family so you can rotate pattern at project level is also a way out, but again, not a good solution.

bob.86982
2010-08-10, 04:41 PM
Take a look at the attached.

cheers

Cliff,

When I load it in my project it has the same issue with the material orientation, and this family does not maintain the the side slope angle and increase the base size as it is stretched.

bob.86982
2010-08-10, 05:04 PM
Cliff,

When I load it in my project it has the same issue with the material orientation, and this family does not maintain the the side slope angle and increase the base size as it is stretched.

Cliff,

Sorry, I reloaded it and it does change size as needed but still does not display the material correctly.

Ning Zhou
2010-08-10, 05:05 PM
should it be model pattern instead of drafting one?

bob.86982
2010-08-10, 05:16 PM
should it be model pattern instead of drafting one?

Joe,

I believe it is a model pattern?

cliff collins
2010-08-10, 05:37 PM
Mine changes size and displays the material correctly on all sides, in realistic view and hidden line view, in the family and when loaded into a new project.

cheers

bob.86982
2010-08-10, 05:48 PM
Mine changes size and displays the material correctly on all sides, in realistic view and hidden line view, in the family and when loaded into a new project.

cheers

Cliff,

What material are you applying to it.

When i load it into my project or a new project it comes in without material showin and when i assign a material to it still does not display correctly.

bob.86982
2010-08-10, 05:59 PM
I have attached the file again to see if it includes the material this time.

cliff collins
2010-08-10, 06:03 PM
Cliff,

What material are you applying to it.

When i load it into my project or a new project it comes in without material showin and when i assign a material to it still does not display correctly.

I setup a material ( the material parameter was already there) in the family
and in the Project called "stone"--and set up a render appearance for rendering/realistic views, and a surface pattern for shaded/hidden line views.

Saved the family and loaded into the new project. All works well. Materials are mapped correctly on all 4 sides, and show correctly in hidden line and realistic views.

cheers

bob.86982
2010-08-10, 07:08 PM
I setup a material ( the material parameter was already there) in the family
and in the Project called "stone"--and set up a render appearance for rendering/realistic views, and a surface pattern for shaded/hidden line views.

Saved the family and loaded into the new project. All works well. Materials are mapped correctly on all 4 sides, and show correctly in hidden line and realistic views.

cheers

When I load yours into an new project it works correctly until I change the material. i don't understand why.

bob.86982
2010-08-10, 07:20 PM
It seems to display correctly if it is a drafting pattern but a model pattern does not. I thought drafting patterns were only for 2-D views?

cliff collins
2010-08-10, 07:43 PM
It seems to display correctly if it is a drafting pattern but a model pattern does not. I thought drafting patterns were only for 2-D views?

I believe this is the .pat file I used: (see attached )

cheers

bob.86982
2010-08-10, 08:14 PM
Yes, I also have that pattern and it works fine on this family but if I change to another stone pattern thats listed with the model patterns it goes back to the same problem. The model stone patterns work fine in my 3-D views except on this tapered column family. There must be a reason, I just wish I knew what it was.