PDA

View Full Version : Does understanding Automated Sketch dimensions ever get any easier?

rtaube
2010-08-11, 12:17 PM
Trying to find the balance between when to use Reference Planes and when to modify Automated Sketch dimensions always seems to be an issue for me. Does it get any easier? just looking for re-assurance.. :)

jeffh
2010-08-11, 12:27 PM
Trying to find the balance between when to use Reference Planes and when to modify Automated Sketch dimensions always seems to be an issue for me. Does it get any easier? just looking for re-assurance.. :)

I very rarely if ever look at automatic sketch dimensions. If I want a relationship between elements I will intentionally create this relationship but dimensioning, locking, use reference planes etc...

The only time I even turn them on is if something really unexpected is going on I will turn them on to see if there was something un-intentional set up.

Otherwise, dimension lock and constrain deliberatly.

Andre Carvalho
2010-08-11, 12:40 PM
What I like to do is to set reference planes and add dimensions (parameters) to them (not to the sketch lines). Then I draw the symbolic lines (or sketch lines) without paying too much attention to automatic sketch dimensions. Once done, I select all lines, cut to clipboard and paste aligned to the same place. By doing this the automatic sketch dimensions will try to reference themselves to the closest reference plane when they are pasted. Usually this works like a charm. If I have any problem when flexing an element and not having the expected behavior, then I'll check the automatic sketch dimensions. And usually it is something minor. It is very rare I'll add dimensions and lock symbolic lines or sketch lines. Usually, only the ones that are exactly on top of reference planes or if I need to add a parameter to control one of the lines of the sketch.

Andre Carvalho

wmullett
2010-08-11, 02:05 PM
Temporary dimensioning is established in the family.

From the family Guide (AutoDESK): "A strong reference has the highest priority for dimensioning and snapping. For example, you create a window family and place it into a project. As you are placing the family, temporary dimensions snap to any strong references in the family. When you select the family in the project, temporary dimensions appear at the strong references. If you place a permanent dimension, the strong references in the window geometry highlight first. A strong reference takes precedence over a wall reference point, such as its centerline."

Andre Carvalho
2010-08-11, 06:27 PM
Temporary dimensioning is established in the family.

From the family Guide (AutoDESK): "A strong reference has the highest priority for dimensioning and snapping. For example, you create a window family and place it into a project. As you are placing the family, temporary dimensions snap to any strong references in the family. When you select the family in the project, temporary dimensions appear at the strong references. If you place a permanent dimension, the strong references in the window geometry highlight first. A strong reference takes precedence over a wall reference point, such as its centerline."

I think the OP is talking about Automatic Sketch Dimensions and not Temporary Dimensions.

Andre Carvalho

rtaube
2010-08-11, 07:02 PM
Its all helpful information, thanks guys. I'm building some families for a manufacturer, so I'm trying minimize my use of Reference Planes for the sake of clarity, as well as save a little on file size. Having a ton of RPs dimensioned and locked just looks messy. and playing with the automated sketch dimensions seems to alleviate thisa bit, but it's kinda frustrating at the same time, trying to figure out how Revit thinks.

Even after you get everything constrained and flexed perfectly, if you have to add one more Reference plane, or even a Model Line, Revit reconstrains certain parts of the model (or in my case, certain lines within a profile of an extrusion).. and everything goes wacky when you flex it again.

Cheers,
Ryan