PDA

View Full Version : sloped concrete curbs and site items

cliff collins
2004-12-17, 02:54 PM
We have a project with a grade difference of approx. 30 feet from the high to low side,
with the building carved into the slope, and perimeter parking lots/drives and curbs.

I searched this forum on the sloped concrete curb topic, and found that basically it is very
time consuming and / or impossible to create a 3d path for an in-place curb family sweep.

This is a MAJOR issue, as all projects will present this situation to some degree, depending on terrain, etc.

We are developing a rendered animation/walkthru for this project, and we need the conc.
curbs, islands, sidewalks, etc to conform to the slope.

We are using the Sub-region tool to lay out the basic sidewalks, grass and asphalt
paving areas. For the parking striping we made a Sub-region in the shape of a "stripe",
assigned it the "parking stripe" material, and copied it as needed, and it conforms to the slope of the surface as a sub-region.

Any ideas/solutions for the sloping curbs would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.....

cbc

SCShell
2004-12-17, 03:02 PM
Hi Cliff,

Here is a tip I posted a while ago: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=25982#post25982

In addition, you can make 6" concrete walls with the base at a point several feet below your grades. Simply (but time consuming) cut temporary sections directly next to each major area of curbing and simply edit the profile to match your grade slope. This will work; however, I only do this when the areas will be rendered or shown in 3D.

Good Luck
Steve

stuntmonkee
2004-12-17, 03:49 PM
unless I'm missing something, it's too bad that topography cant have a thickness, other wise you can do the curbs as sub regions, and select from a plan view, and then switch to a section/elevation and raise all your curbs 6". Then its a perfect mold to your current topo. I have done this on a few projects and only raid them 4" for the shading effect and it looks better than tryin to make some crazy in place family, or use walls, or just not having anything at all. But like I said, since there isn't a thickness from a 3d view, then sometimes you can see under it. I know its not the prefect answer, but it works out OK.

Allen Lacy
2004-12-17, 05:28 PM
Scott Brown made some curbs that attach to a topo surface. Click here (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=8189) for an explanation and curb families

cliff collins
2004-12-17, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

We were able to solve our problem thus:

1. Build 6" thick conc. walls, with base and top constraints set to approx. correct
grade elevations, input onto site plan along curb perimeters. Put these in the Site workset.

2. We then sliced sections thru the topo
model, and can see the Sub Region (asphalt paving) and the walls in profile view.

3. We then edited the wall profiles to adjust to 6" height above the Sub Regions. A bit laborious, but it will work.

We called Revit support, and got a direct answer that "Revit
does not provide tools for this." Add this one to the Wishlist, for sure.

cbc

Joef
2004-12-17, 06:27 PM
You can also use a floor and slope it to make a curb. (someone posted this tip here a while ago). I've used this to make walls with a sloping top.

Chad Smith
2004-12-17, 09:04 PM
...it's too bad that topography cant have a thickness, other wise you can do the curbs as sub regions, and select from a plan view, and then switch to a section/elevation and raise all your curbs 6".
Sounds like something that I suggested here (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=2530).

Site tools still need some vast amount of improving.

mmodernc
2004-12-17, 10:14 PM
M_parking space, M_Parking islands have solids in them which seem to stick to topography- approximately. If you made short lengths of kerb using the metric site family template using say sweeps, and with parameters like length and radius, and popped them on the site -wouldn't this work to some degree?

mmodernc
2004-12-17, 10:23 PM
No - because the kerb leans over to be perpendicular to the site - not vertical.
Workarounds are never as good as the right code. How many candles have been burnt..............

mmodernc
2004-12-17, 10:35 PM
But it would be perpendicular if the road is modelled as a relatveley flat topo and the kerb is placed on the road topo. But then there is the vertical arc - how many bits would you need to approximate? Can you do a sweep in the three axes? or just the xy,zy,zx planes one at a time? Is Revit a true three axis program or is it a 2D extruded modeller?

Haden
2005-03-11, 04:56 PM
What's even more frustrating is that after you use subregions for your roads, you can't trace model lines on top of the subregion, since it won't snap to points on the subregion, so offsetting lines for your curbs is laborious as well.