PDA

View Full Version : Model Workflow Advice

STHRevit
2010-08-11, 04:10 PM
Hi all.
We have the possibility of documenting a large residential tower in the near future. It consists of Approx 28 floors made up of 15 different unit types. Lots of duplication.

I am thinking of creating a project file for each unit and then linking them into a building shell. I did consider trying Design options as an alternative.

Any advice on pro's and cons for either method?
Oh yeah, we will also be linking in all the consultants models for collaboration.

Thoughts?

cliff collins
2010-08-11, 04:18 PM
Use Groups for the Unit types.

Make a Shell/Core model for the exterior and internal stairs/shafts, etc.
Make an ID model for all the inside walls, and the Unit Groups.

Add in Struct. amd MEP model links, and there you have it.

cheers

STHRevit
2010-08-11, 04:25 PM
Thanks Cliff.
Are there any issues with using groups in the newer Revit versions?
I seem to recall having problems with mirroring etc. Is this still the case? I have basically avoided using groups For a long time.

wmullett
2010-08-11, 04:27 PM
Depends on what is shared between model documents and how you will be working on the project. Everytime you want to change a standard item, do you want to have to open 15 different models to change it?

I would do the units all in one project. The shell and core could be in another.

cliff collins
2010-08-11, 04:29 PM
Thanks Cliff.
Are there any issues with using groups in the newer Revit versions?
I seem to recall having problems with mirroring etc. Is this still the case? I have basically avoided using groups For a long time.

Don't mirror Groups--make new ones. Group functions have improved vastly since the 7-8 days.

cheers

STHRevit
2010-08-11, 04:33 PM
Thanks guys.
I will look into the group method I think. Time to do some experiments and see if I can find the limits of groups.

Thanks again for the advice. Appreciated.

wmullett
2010-08-11, 04:57 PM
We use simplified groups for overall project. They don't contain furniture, specialty items etc - just walls doors - plumbing fixtures.

twiceroadsfool
2010-08-11, 05:13 PM
Use groups for the Units, and use Links for the Floors. Thats how i do high rise. Then if the floors are repetitive, i put one instance on a workset by itself, and the others on a Repetition workset that i only load when im plotting.

Having the floors as a repeating Link means that you dont have to wait for the group definition to repopulate every single Unit in the building, which will take a lonnnnng time. if the floors are VASTLY different, have different linked files. if theyre close to the same, with minor variations of chase sizes and door locations, use design options in the Link and View templates in the base.

goodtastingsteak
2010-08-11, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure if this is a dumb question but...

how do you model your units with the proper dimensions if they are in a different file from the exterior walls? Do you link both into each other?

twiceroadsfool
2010-08-11, 06:38 PM
I link the shell in to the Floor Plates, and work on the units there. Then is ave the units out as groups. If its a mathematically varying shape, but the units are the same except for the minor mathematical variations at the skin, i pick a control point with a reference plane, and end the portion of the wall at that point, and do the rest in the Shell file, so it can attach properly.

goodtastingsteak
2010-08-11, 11:40 PM
Would the project file with your sheets be in the same project file as the shell? or do you then link the shell/core (which has the units and floors linked into it) into another project file w/ the sheets?

twiceroadsfool
2010-08-12, 01:08 AM
I use one of the Building Models as the model with the sheets, but ive seen it done the other way as well. But i break tall buildings up systemically, and wide buildings up geographically, and i use the largest portion with the most typical conditions as the Documentation model.