PDA

View Full Version : Restricting Other Revit Users

ArchitortureIntern
2010-08-12, 02:42 PM
Is there a way to "lock" a revit central file so that you can control who can edit/access the file? I'm guessing it would have something to do with user names and worksharing but I'm not sure where to begin looking. Is this even possible?

eric.piotrowicz
2010-08-12, 03:54 PM
It depends what you are trying to do. Are you looking to plain keep specific users out or just keep people from accidently modifying certain parts of the project? I don't think there is a built in Revit way to restrict access to certain users but you might be able to do this by setting network restrictions on who can read/write to the project directory. If you just want to keep certain parts of the model locked what I've done is create a workset that I can take ownership of with an Admin username then place the specific elements on the workset and close without relinquishing. For us this is generally just grids and links that would have this type of lockdown.

wmullett
2010-08-12, 04:54 PM
I think the answer to your problem is education and rules. We ask all users that are poking around in a file to only open detached.

Doesn't always work but 99.99% it does. Staff of 40+/-