PDA

View Full Version : Need Paper space tutorial

Borg
2004-12-17, 04:08 PM
I have a user venturing into paperspace for the first time. I thought it would be a good idea for him to read cadalyst article "Lost In Paper Space". However a search of the sight revealse nothing newer than 2001. I could've swore that there was a much more recent update of that series. Can someone point me in the right direction. Also, suggestions on any other resources on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Glenn Pope
2004-12-17, 04:26 PM
Check out this page.
Paper and Model Space Tutorials (http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/autocad/tutorials/paperspace.htm)

It includes links to several tutorials, including Lost in Paper Space, Again.

Borg
2004-12-17, 04:31 PM
Thanks alot. I found that one already. However I was hoping for articles that specifically address AutoCAD 2004 or 2005 which are what we use. I guess I failed to mention that.

Don't get me wrong though, your input is much appreciated.

Mike.Perry
2004-12-17, 04:48 PM
Hi

Please note I've *moved* this thread from the CAD Mgmt. General (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119) Forum to this one as I feel this particular Forum is a more appropriate place for such a topic.

Thanks, Mike

Forum Moderator

Mike.Perry
2004-12-17, 04:49 PM
Hi

Give the following thread a browse, contains a lot of useful links regarding Paperspace (Layout) - Modelspace.

model-layout (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=5979)

Have a good one, Mike

paul.burgener
2004-12-27, 01:22 AM
Gotta get packed to go to Ohio, and can't read or write for long. Beth Powell has me "on contract" to write a Paper Space tutorial for an ATP to run via AUGI forum in February. Each of the three "section" (lessons) is to be planned to take one hour to read and perform. I've printed out a few similar tutorials, to make sure I cover everything necessary.

Any suggestions of what details it should include?

Stay tuned for more!

Paul Burgener
p_burgener@yahoo.com
Newport News, VA USA 23602-7007

G_Sarver
2005-01-20, 01:55 PM
I would be sure to include is the scale relationship between model space and paper space through the use of Zoom, Center, <scale>XP.

Another would be how you 'rotate' a view. I am sure anyone that has worked with paperspace very much has had an occasion in which he/she had to change the orientation of the view. By using dview/twist someone can change the angle of the view.

Those are a couple of points that my users have had issues with. If I think of others I will post.

paul.burgener
2005-01-20, 03:20 PM
Yes, the ATP I'm doing will have DVIEW and also the method of creating a rotated UCS and PLAN comand. Students save the view on the model tab, and then restore the view within the Viewport.

I thought about the Zoom Center method of re-establishing a close-up in a huge city or installation map. I merely mentioned "you'll need to zoom in, since the Plan command does a Zoom Extents", or something like that. The sample I have the student make is only standard 12 by 9 sized, for simplicity, so I didn't think the Zoom Center route could be practiced well. Furthermore depending on how large the map is, the "distance" from 0,0 for Zoom Center could be 1000 (what I usually use), or who knows what.

Do you think I should cover Zoom Center in greater detail? Hmm... maybe I should casually mention "Look into the Zoom center command and option, to quickly zoom to the new UCS origin.

Are you registered for my Paper Space and Layout ATP? Email me direct at paul.burgener@tea.army.mil or p_burgener@Yahoo.com It's being proofread and formatted now. Not sure when it officially starts; sometime in February as I recall. Each of the three segments are 10 to 15 pages, with pretty large figures on many or most pages.

Off to the Oce sales show! Talk with you later!

<BTW> Thanks for the comments. Sounds like we're on the save level!

-Paul Burgener
Newport News, VA USA 23602

jaberwok
2005-01-20, 08:28 PM
Where Zoom/Centre is not appropriate, why not Zoom/Window to the approximate area then Zoom/Xp ?

paul.burgener
2005-01-20, 08:37 PM
I hear ya. The problem with super big map drawings is you can't figure where you "were". If you'd been working on a single house, in the middle of a city drawing, you may not remember where it was. In this case, I guess you could find it after making a new UCS, by drawing a line to point 0,0. I figure it's a fast or faster to type:
Z <Enter>
C <Enter>
0,0 <Enter>
this pops your view so you're looking downward at 0,0 from an elevation of 1000 units.

Guess it's a matter of preference, though.

-Paul

jaberwok
2005-01-20, 08:44 PM
Hey, I don't deal with maps. What works for you, works. That's fine.