PDA

View Full Version : Quantiy of Groups?

Dave Jones
2010-08-17, 02:32 PM
is there a way to determine the quantity of individual groups in a Revit project?

cliff collins
2010-08-17, 02:48 PM
Highlight an individual Group, right click, then choose "select all instances" in entire project. Then look at the filter tool at lower right corner of the screen and see how many Groups were selected.

I thought you could also go the Project Browser and highlight a Group, right click and select all instances, but it is greyed out.

Just a thought. I don't think it is currently possible to Schedule Groups?

cheers

Dave Jones
2010-08-17, 03:20 PM
Highlight an individual Group, right click, then choose "select all instances" in entire project. Then look at the filter tool at lower right corner of the screen and see how many Groups were selected.

I thought you could also go the Project Browser and highlight a Group, right click and select all instances, but it is greyed out.

Just a thought. I don't think it is currently possible to Schedule Groups?

cheers

both highlighting the group or selecting it on the list in the Project Browser works here. Select all instances/In Project is available both ways. Thanks!

twiceroadsfool
2010-08-17, 03:48 PM
It will be greyed out of you dont have any instances placed. Unfortunately, theyre still not scheduleable, and still dont carry identity data.

Dave Jones
2010-08-17, 04:31 PM
It will be greyed out of you dont have any instances placed. Unfortunately, theyre still not scheduleable, and still dont carry identity data.

those would be nice features but I still find Groups very useful. Thanks Aaron

Scott Womack
2010-08-17, 07:27 PM
those would be nice features but I still find Groups very useful. Thanks Aaron

We created a Group Info Family, and place one in each group (for living units, suites, etc.) that has all Shared Instance parameters in it. One of them in Group Name, another is Group Area, etc.

Then by creating a schedule of that family, we are effectively creating a schedule of the groups.

twiceroadsfool
2010-08-17, 07:52 PM
Not a bad way to go at all, especially since you could nest a Generic Annotation in to it with a Label reading the "Group ID" and displaying it in plan...

cliff collins
2010-08-18, 12:55 PM
Just came across another way to get quantities of elements in the model:

The RAC 2011 Extensions have an option called "Element Positioning"--

this tool shows the quantity of Model Groups in the project.

see attached.

cheers

Dave Jones
2010-08-18, 02:26 PM
Just came across another way to get quantities of elements in the model:

The RAC 2011 Extensions have an option called "Element Positioning"--

this tool shows the quantity of Model Groups in the project.

see attached.

cheers

thanks for the info but that's not the quantity that I was looking for. The Element Positioning dialog only gives you the total number of model groups not the number of objects in each group. The Select all in Project/Filter option works perfectly for what I needed. Thanks again though. I had never taken the time to check out Element Positioning

goodtastingsteak
2010-08-18, 07:39 PM
We created a Group Info Family, and place one in each group (for living units, suites, etc.) that has all Shared Instance parameters in it. One of them in Group Name, another is Group Area, etc.

Then by creating a schedule of that family, we are effectively creating a schedule of the groups.

Never thought of that!

What template or type of family would that be? Generic annotation? and then you add it to one of your attached detail groups? or does it have to be a model element?