PDA

View Full Version : I need suggestions please

ededios
2010-08-17, 03:03 PM
Hello everyone,

I've attached a PDF of what I need to model. It is a panel system on a wall, it will be on the whole building. I'm looking for suggestions on what the best way to model this would be.

I do have the building shell modeled, I thought maybe this should be a face-based family that would have different corner conditions, but I'm hoping for thoughts from others before I do anything.

Thanks so much!!

Alfredo Medina
2010-08-17, 03:13 PM
It might be very time and memory consuming to do this cladding as a true model. One suggestion is to manage this with: a material created from a photograph for the rendering appearance, and a custom surface hatch pattern for the line drawings; then describe the installation of the panels with 2D details.

cliff collins
2010-08-17, 03:20 PM
Alfredo raises a valid point--and the image you posted suggests that someone has already built a model and applied a bump map to show the angles/relief in the granite pattern?

However, if there is a justified reason to actually model it, you might consider using a pattern based curtain system in the Conceptual Massing environment, or just creating
a Mass model and then converting the faces to thin granite walls.

I agree with Alfredo--this would be very challenging and the hardware may struggle to keep up with the complexity--but I think it can be done.

There was an example of an "undulating brick wall" done by Shop Architects which was a similar problem....I'll see if I can dig something up.

You might also take a look here:
http://buildz.blogspot.com/

cheers

Dave Jones
2010-08-17, 03:29 PM
Hello everyone,

I've attached a PDF of what I need to model. It is a panel system on a wall, it will be on the whole building. I'm looking for suggestions on what the best way to model this would be.

I do have the building shell modeled, I thought maybe this should be a face-based family that would have different corner conditions, but I'm hoping for thoughts from others before I do anything.

Thanks so much!!

looks like quite a project! This may give you some ideas about how to accomplish the task if you really decide to take it on

http://designreform.net/2008/10/revit-nested-families/

sbrown
2010-08-17, 03:50 PM
If that panel you show in the image repeats at that size then its an easy curtain panel creation. Not mass tool, but the old plain curtain panel tool. If the sizes change then the new massing tools is the answer.

ededios
2010-08-17, 03:52 PM
Thank you all!!

I only need to make CD's now, I don't need to have any nice images from the Revit model, sorry I didn't point that out. It was modeled and rendered in a different program.

I had thought about doing the mass model option Cliff suggested but wasn't sure if I can constrain it or lock it to the wall that is already placed. I think I'd like to look into the pattern based curtain system option, maybe a bit much but it'd be great to try.

Thanks for the links, I'll be searching through them now!!!

Thanks again, I'll post what I decide to do, and the results.

ededios
2010-08-17, 03:56 PM
If that panel you show in the image repeats at that size then its an easy curtain panel creation. Not mass tool, but the old plain curtain panel tool. If the sizes change then the new massing tools is the answer.

The panel does repeat, only the corner conditions are different. At first I thought the curtain panel would be too simple an answer, but didn't actually try it, shame on me.

Thanks! I think I'll have the team try that first, and I'll do the new massing tool option, for learning and teaching purposes.

Gracias!

diesellam
2010-08-17, 04:20 PM
This could be easily done in FormZ or Rhino. It's called the "skin tool".
Like the other people suggested, it's challenging to do it right in Revit.

mthurnauer
2010-08-17, 07:11 PM
I don't think this would be too difficult to do in revit. The curtain panel is the way to go. I think it will give you the best way to document the design. You can make the curtain panel and tag it on the elevations. As you state, you may end up with some unique curtain panels at corners and adjacent to some openings. All of these can be tagged and then reference to a detail sheet for the stone veneer details. May I ask what is the location of this project?

ededios
2010-08-17, 08:58 PM
The project is in Madera, California - it's a court house.

Thanks for your response!