PDA

View Full Version : Structural Beam & Generic Model Intersections

ford347
2010-08-18, 06:36 PM
I have a line based truss family that once was a generic model family, but now is a structural framing family, but regardless, the problem is still the same.

If you look at the pic attached, you are looking at an inside corner where two trusses intersect. When these two trusses touch, they join at their centers, making the span on both trusses incorrect and shifting one side out of plane.

I have tried everything I can think of to stop this from happening, but I cannot get these two to act independently! It is driving me nuts. I need the two to terminate on their respective grid lines to keep the correct span for each.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh :banghead:

ford347
2010-08-30, 10:34 PM
Any takers? I've since moved on, but never did find a solution.

Craig_L
2010-08-30, 11:47 PM
It looks like they actually are terminating on their respective grid lines, but it will be the analytical node point that rests in the correct spot.
The actual family you have used will be causing the problem. I couldn't work out if you're saying it was a truss family or not, but there is a generic truss family which is not framing, or lines, but it's own category under VG settings of structural trusses.

If you use the truss family, you can edit the chords by unpinning them, stretching, cutting, repositioning and/or coping as required and this will tidy up that view for you, you're analytical node point will still be correct tho from the looks of that image, but it's impossible to tell without seeing the nodes turned on, and without having a look inside the model to see exactly what's been modelled in place....