PDA

View Full Version : IFC to RVT?

Dave Jones
2010-08-18, 07:09 PM
I have an upcoming project that I'll be doing with Revit 2011. The Architect for this project has Revit 2010 and is telling me that if I export to an .ifc file that he can open this file and convert it to a .rvt file. I don't believe that this can be done. Can someone confirm that for me please.

Also, I hadn't played with IFC files before but exported a project that I'm working on to IFC this morning and opened it in Revit 2010 and it lost a lot of "stuff". No wall sections, drafting or detail views, and who knows what else is missing. Is this normal?

cliff collins
2010-08-18, 07:14 PM
IFC will give limited/no "intelligence" when exported/imported from/into Revit.

The architect should upgrade to 2011, or you should use 2010, since saving down is not possible.

The IFC "conversion" will actually be re-creating the model--there is no "automatic IFC to Revit" app that I'm aware of.

A good "BIM Kickoff Meeting" with all BIM Team Members well in advance of work commencing will do a lot of good, and bring these issues up before they become a "crisis".

LOL

cheers

Dave Jones
2010-08-18, 07:38 PM
IFC will give limited/no "intelligence" when exported/imported from/into Revit.

The architect should upgrade to 2011, or you should use 2010, since saving down is not possible.

The IFC "conversion" will actually be re-creating the model--there is no "automatic IFC to Revit" app that I'm aware of.

A good "BIM Kickoff Meeting" with all BIM Team Members well in advance of work commencing will do a lot of good, and bring these issues up before they become a "crisis".

LOL

cheers

I guess that they forgot to invite the lowly curtain wall detailer to that meeting. I'm now just expected to provide schedule miracles :p