PDA

View Full Version : creating a custom triangular waffle slab using a curtain panel pattern based component

jiiams
2010-08-18, 08:44 PM
This is my first post on this forum and I will buy whomever solves this an ice cold coca-cola classic! I am creating a sloping (curved) roof structure waffle slab. The twist is that we want it to be a custom triangular waffle pattern. It seems to me that in Revit 2011 the curtain panel pattern based system applied to the roof surface should do the trick, but I am having some difficulty getting my desired result. I have attached the component that I believe should work, but it of course does not. Basically I am needing to create an extruded triangle with a void extruded to create the waffle pattern. If anybody has the secret formula, or some advice for creating this type of system I would be eternally greatful!

Thanks in advance!

cliff collins
2010-08-18, 09:32 PM
Can you post an sketch of the roof form you are trying to achieve?
That would help us understand how to solve the problem better.

cheers

jiiams
2010-08-18, 10:09 PM
Sorry about the confusion. It is somewhat of a complex for we are hoping to achieve as simply and efficiently as possible. Here are a few sketchup images that should help illustrate what we are looking for.

Craig_L
2010-08-18, 10:51 PM
Why wouldnt you achieve this with just a flat slab and beams?
Alternatively, you could simple put in deeper sections of slab to form the waffle portions.
ie model one flat slab at 200thk, and then a series of 600thk portions to form the beams.

thomas.163390
2010-08-19, 08:50 AM
Why wouldnt you achieve this with just a flat slab and beams?
Alternatively, you could simple put in deeper sections of slab to form the waffle portions.
ie model one flat slab at 200thk, and then a series of 600thk portions to form the beams.

How would a flat slab help? The roofs is double-curved as far as I can see.

cliff collins
2010-08-19, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the images.

If you already have it in SU, you could import the .skp file into a Mass family, load into your Revit project, and the convert faces to Revit Walls, Floors, Roofs, etc. Not an ideal solution, I know.

Are the beams actually radiused? or segmented to approximate a curve? This distinction
is critical in determing modeling methods and constructability.

You COULD use the Conceptual Massing tools as you initially suggested to create the curved roof form, then with an Adaptive Component create the triangular shape and apply it as a pattern-based curtain system?

Take a look here for some similar examples:
http://buildz.blogspot.com/

There are quite a few posts there which deal with the Conceptual Massing tools,
so be sure to look at older posts as well.

For a true BIM, the Structural Engineer would be modeling the concrete waffle slabs--
so you might also post this challenge in the Revit Structure Forum, and see if there are any advanced users who may have modelled something like this in RS. LOL!

cheers

cheers

jiiams
2010-08-24, 03:58 PM
Hey everybody, thanks for your help. I ended up making my component another way.

I am having a seperate issue that maybe somebody out there can help me with. For some reason my roof components are having trouble filling in the edges as partial panels. I know that there are ways to fix this. Here is the strange bit: I have modeled my roof as an in place mass within my overall project file. When I am outside of the family there are a handful of panels that are not cutting along the roof profile as they should (roof_1 image). When I edit in place the incorrect panels shift to a different location (roof_2 image). I'm thinking this would be an indication of a file-size memory related issue?

Initially I modeled my roof as a seperate family and inserted as a generic model into my overall project. This gave me a similiar issue: In the roof family the edges were perfect with zero overhanging panels, but when I brought the family into the project the overhanging panels appeared. Again, this leads me to believe there is some graphic, or hardware issue to blame?

Anybody??

Thanks,
John

przemekmysz
2010-08-24, 05:35 PM
This is my first post on this forum and I will buy whomever solves this an ice cold coca-cola classic! I am creating a sloping (curved) roof structure waffle slab. The twist is that we want it to be a custom triangular waffle pattern. It seems to me that in Revit 2011 the curtain panel pattern based system applied to the roof surface should do the trick, but I am having some difficulty getting my desired result. I have attached the component that I believe should work, but it of course does not. Basically I am needing to create an extruded triangle with a void extruded to create the waffle pattern. If anybody has the secret formula, or some advice for creating this type of system I would be eternally greatful!

Thanks in advance!

I maybe shot for suggesting this, but Rhino with the grasshopper plug-in (it's free) would be perfect for what you need.

Craig_L
2010-08-24, 11:37 PM
How would a flat slab help? The roofs is double-curved as far as I can see.

It would help because you can then later modify the slab elements to make it a falling/sloped surface. It's quite easy done with the modify sub-elements tool.

dhurtubise
2010-08-24, 11:41 PM
Hey everybody, thanks for your help. I ended up making my component another way.

I am having a seperate issue that maybe somebody out there can help me with. For some reason my roof components are having trouble filling in the edges as partial panels. I know that there are ways to fix this. Here is the strange bit: I have modeled my roof as an in place mass within my overall project file. When I am outside of the family there are a handful of panels that are not cutting along the roof profile as they should (roof_1 image). When I edit in place the incorrect panels shift to a different location (roof_2 image). I'm thinking this would be an indication of a file-size memory related issue?

Initially I modeled my roof as a seperate family and inserted as a generic model into my overall project. This gave me a similiar issue: In the roof family the edges were perfect with zero overhanging panels, but when I brought the family into the project the overhanging panels appeared. Again, this leads me to believe there is some graphic, or hardware issue to blame?

Anybody??

Thanks,
John
Change the Border Tile to empty and create an Adaptive Component to fill the gap.

cliff collins
2010-08-25, 12:57 PM
ditto on the Adaptive Component for edge fill.

cheers