PDA

View Full Version : Is this wall style possible?

david.kingham
2004-12-17, 11:52 PM
It is cast in place concrete w/ stud/gyp interior, brick veneer exterior.....problem is the city wants an overlap every 30'....can i make it cleanup like the picture? Thanks

sjsl
2004-12-17, 11:53 PM
try using the "Join" Geometry command

david.kingham
2004-12-17, 11:56 PM
Tells me this
A serious error has occurred. It is strongly recommended that you use Save As to save your work in a new file before continuing.

sbrown
2004-12-18, 01:47 PM
Try drawing it with a small vertical piece of wall first, then moving it in to just 1/8" inch or whatever the real overlap would be.

Joef
2004-12-18, 03:37 PM
It is also sometimes helpful to draw a line and then use that line to (tab) select when drawing your wall.

Joe

david.kingham
2004-12-18, 05:24 PM
Still no luck....here's the file if anyone wants to play

aggockel50321
2004-12-18, 06:04 PM
Try this:

With the "chain" box checked, draw a horizontal wall left to right, then turn down & draw a vertical wall a few feet (meters), then turn and draw another horizontal wall.

Using the align tool, select the lower concrete face of the upper horizontal wall, then the upper face of the lower horizontal wall.

The two horizontal walls will join at the concrete faces. (I didn't check, but I'd assume the vertical wall is now gone.)

If the walls don't clean up properly, use the "edit wall joins" tool & toggle through until you get what you want.

I tried this in 7.0 & 6.1. In 6.1, the edit wall joins command didn't seem to work well, but I was able to get the desired result (less the narrow horizontal line shown between the concrete faces in the example you posted) by highlighting the upper wall, & tweaking the joined end to the left a bit, to change the join.

david.kingham
2004-12-18, 06:14 PM
When I try to align it works fine except for the reveal at the top of the wall and wont let me finish the align...ughh

aggockel50321
2004-12-18, 08:35 PM
When I tried what you were trying to do, I didn't realize you had a stacked wall.

I downloaded your wall and fooled with it a little. I think your wall is too complex for the software to give you what you want.

I was however able to get it to work by selecting each segment, right clicking and then select "break up" in the menu, and then align the segments. The newly broken segments don't seem to be constrained to each other so you'll have to align each of the three segments.

Hope this helps..

edit: I think now that they are constrained. I did have to fool with the wall joins of the top piece with the reveal to get an alignment with no errors. The vertical wall has to be the face of the butt join.

david.kingham
2004-12-18, 09:16 PM
Yes that helps...not what I wanted to hear though....the reveal at the top still wont cleanup :bangs head against wall:

aggockel50321
2004-12-18, 10:52 PM
Once I broke the walls, I got the reveal to clean properly, but I had to edit the wall joins.

When you edit them, stay with the butt join, and make sure the but join line that shows is vertical on both joins of the vertical wall.

tamas
2004-12-21, 04:54 PM
Thanks for posting the file. I'll investigate the problems. (The crash - I mean serious error ;-) - is certainly fixable.)

As I looked at your wall, it appears that the bottom subwall is a 3' extension of the core layer of the middle subwall. You can achieve this by unlocking the layer for the middle wall type and set "Base Extension Distance" to -3' 0" on the stacked wall instance. This way the stacked wall only has two subwalls and wall joins are less problematic. Unfortunately this comes with an unwanted side effect. The material applied to the pulled down extension is the same as the finish of the wall (brick in this case on one side). This is a bug and I'll make a note of it for the future. You can paint the faces to better material if needed.

See the attached file as well.

Tamas