PDA

View Full Version : Railing on Ramp not 'cutting'!

craighowie
2010-08-22, 11:56 AM
Hi there.

A quick question regarding the attached ramp and stair! Why is it that the railing on the ramp not cutting (In plan), however the railing on the stair is being cut (Dashed line) Graphically the railing on the ramp should behave exactly the same as the railing on the stair. Am I missing something? How do I get the railing on the ramp to show in a dashed line after a certain height?

Thanks
Craig

Alfredo Medina
2010-08-22, 12:35 PM
"Ramps in a means of egress are limited to a vertical rise of 30" (762mm) between intermediate landings" (International Building Code).

Try re-building your ramp adding landings, and you'll see the dashed lines.

craighowie
2010-08-22, 12:51 PM
Thanks Alfredo for your response!

Okay, so I have attached a ramp with a whole lot of random landings, and yes thanks I get the dashed line of the cut railing to show as wanted in plan. The ramp that I need to achieve however has only one landing. How does one achieve the same dashed line for the railing with a ramp with a single landing? Is there a way to change that 762mm figure? I dont see it anywhere in the railing properties!

Craig

Alfredo Medina
2010-08-22, 02:05 PM
How does one achieve the same dashed line for the railing with a ramp with a single landing?

For the ramp with the single landing, if you want to see the dashed line in the first flight, you need to raise the cutting plane of the view to be above the landing, or create a plan region just for the ramp, with the cutting plane above the landing.

Is there a way to change that 762mm figure? I dont see it anywhere in the railing properties!

No, it's not anywhere, but you can calculate the "Maximum incline length" value (in the ramp's type properties) to make the ramp stop for a landing when the 30" (762mm) height has been reached. See illustration.

craighowie
2010-08-22, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the advice and the illustration!

Using a plan view has sorted out the issue!

Much appreciated