PDA

View Full Version : Railing Sketch Overlapping itself?

craighowie
2010-08-22, 12:34 PM
Hi there.

I am aware that a railing sketch cannot overlap itself at any point along a railing path.

I however have a scenario which requires a railing sketch to overlap!

Here's the scenario: (see attached sketches)
I have a railing on the inside of a 'dog leg stair' which once at the top of the stair needs to return back 'onto' itself! The result is that the (2d) sketch lines for the railing then overlap causing an error. What is the revit workaround for this? Do I have to draw two separate railing? If so, how would I join the separate railing 'cleanly'?

Thanks million,
Craig

iankids
2010-08-22, 09:44 PM
Hi Craig,

I have always done them as two separate railings (just out of habit) and have had no problems.

Cheers,

Ian

craighowie
2010-08-23, 08:49 AM
Thanks Ian

Yes, I guess the only way that the 'overlap' can be achieved is by drawing two seperate railings!

Is there a way to join those two seperate railings together? To my knowledge there is only an Edit Rail Joins option when editting the path of the railing, (which is railing specific) ruling out the other railing.

Am I missing something?

Craig

btrusty
2010-08-23, 01:32 PM
i typically have to have separate rails if the path overlaps... which is annoying, but that is the problem with sketching something in 2d that exists in 3d (with different elevations)

craighowie
2010-08-24, 07:42 AM
Okay thanks!

Good to know that I wasnt missing something!