PDA

View Full Version : help with roof

Wagurto
2004-12-19, 12:06 AM
I have this small and simple roof that it is giving so much problem to get it right.
I will appreciate any suggestion how to build it.
Thanks

Taylor A
2004-12-19, 01:04 AM
I would build the roof in 2 half's. The lower eave height roof then the higher eaves height roof. Then use Join Geometry (this will give you the intersection of the valley) and go back and edit each roof again. The roof tutorial is quite good.

Roger Evans
2004-12-19, 01:54 AM
For what its worth

steve.70285
2004-12-19, 05:24 AM
Here it is as one roof.

Wagurto
2004-12-19, 05:32 PM
Hi, thank you for all your answers, I tried to do the 2 roof with the joint geometry but was left with an undesired portion of the roof inside the house.
I am really interested in the Steve's solution. I wanted a one roof situation.
Steve if your are so kind of give a detail explanation of what you did I would really appreciate
I new a 3:12 slope roof i noticed that you have 12:12 i try to change that but there is a segment that is not responding to the slope what exactly you did?. I also notice that the same segment of the roof is broken in two pieces why?
thanks

steve.70285
2004-12-19, 06:37 PM
Wagurto,

I need to give credit where credit is due, Aaron Rumple posted this file and I learned alot from pulling it apart and creating my own.
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=5880

...I new a 3:12 slope roof i noticed that you have 12:12 i try to change that but there is a segment that is not responding to the slope what exactly you did?....
I changed all the slope indicators and had no problem...not sure which one you mean.

...I also notice that the same segment of the roof is broken in two pieces why?...
Sorry to confuse but the one line that was split did not need to be. I removed it and added the file with the 3/12 pitch. Keep in mind that if you are creating a roof with "offsets from roof base" you need to set the Rafter Cut property to Plumb Cut or the roof will not work.

steve.70285
2004-12-21, 03:09 AM
Wagurto,

Sorry I've not taken more time to explained this roof...I've been in a crunch to get some jobs out the door before Christmas. I hope the files have helped.

Also, sorry but there was still a break that wasn't needed in my second file.

Here's a diagram I put together...hope it helps.8)

Roger Evans
2004-12-21, 04:09 AM
Well its Late & I'm probably being ultra thick .. but I Can't get it to work in 6.1 as your last one Steve

The 2 roof image I posted does not allow for easy roof joining ~ but I think is nearer to the required roof layout.

This is what I get using your method ~ so what am I doing different ?

steve.70285
2004-12-21, 06:22 AM
Hey Roger,
I take it you have three separate roofs in your image; bottom is two, middle is the one that your playing with and the top is what the framers built after you gave up and went to bed...:lol:

Roofs seem to be tricky sometimes...I think you do have to know when to cut your losses and use additional roofs. But looking at the middle roof it apears to me like you still need to offset some of the lines and split one to disconnect the other side.

I'll be gone for a week but I created a roof in 6.1 if you want to look at it.

Merry Christmas Everyone.

Roger Evans
2004-12-22, 11:15 PM
Thanks Steve taken a look but still think yours is not accurate to the layout requirements
bottom roof needs to abut wall below top roof overhang at "rear"