PDA

View Full Version : Where'd Rugi go?

Martin P
2003-10-02, 01:15 PM
http://www.rugi.org

Temporary thing or is it gone?

Steve_Stafford
2003-10-02, 01:41 PM
As of Oct 1 AUGI is/was supposed to go live. I haven't checked but it is possible that it has and RUGI's content is going to appear there...is that correct Jim Balding?

It does appear to be live now...check out the forum setup. The AUGI exchange does not appear to be live yet however.

Allen Lacy
2003-10-02, 01:51 PM
Looks like AUGI is live now. Forums are up. No content yet.

Scott D Davis
2003-10-02, 03:40 PM
If the old Rugi site is gone, the link should be set up to re-direct to Augi, rather than leaving people hanging.

jbalding48677
2003-10-02, 03:49 PM
RUGI should not be down. I will look into it. The content will taransfer to AUGI eventually, when the Revit Product Channel goes live.

BTW - What do you think of the new look and feel of AUGI?

rodneyf
2003-10-02, 04:41 PM
I like it! I think it works well (much better than the old one). Nice and clean also easy to use.

beegee
2003-10-03, 03:43 AM
BTW - What do you think of the new look and feel of AUGI?

1. Its great that it remembers who you are ( ZDBB just forgets about me all the time :cry: )
2. Text seems smaller & harder to read than here. ( More likely my eyesight after years of staring at monitors and drawings ! )
3. Nice clean neat feel, even better when you turn off the myriad " other product " forums on the home page.
4. Very shonky avatars.
5. Navigation takes some getting used too.
6. The moderators lose posts there too. ( Sorry, that was uncalled for & I withdraw it immediately Mr. Speaker, and apoligise to the honourable member ) There! much better "Q"

gregcashen
2003-10-03, 03:57 AM
[quote:63faf71451="Jim Balding"]BTW - What do you think of the new look and feel of AUGI?

1. Its great that it remembers who you are ( ZDBB just forgets about me all the time :cry: )
2. Text seems smaller & harder to read than here. ( More likely my eyesight after years of staring at monitors and drawings ! )
3. Nice clean neat feel, even better when you turn off the myriad " other product " forums on the home page.
4. Very shonky avatars.
5. Navigation takes some getting used too.
6. The moderators lose posts there too. ( Sorry, that was uncalled for & I withdraw it immediately Mr. Speaker, and apoligise to the honourable member ) There! much better "Q"[/quote:63faf71451]

Hmmm. ZDBB never forgets me unless I clear my cache.

beegee
2003-10-03, 04:11 AM
Yeah, but you're more memorable than I , Greg.

PeterJ
2003-10-03, 07:43 AM
I agree with Beegee, the avatars are appalling. The layout seems pretty clear, though the body of the text is only given a pretty small area so if you prefer the flat syle as I do you end up having to scroll a long way down the screen.

Of course I haven't looked at how the threads split, which I guess is more in line with a newsgroup.

Other than the avatar thing it does look neat.

Scott Hopkins
2003-10-03, 05:26 PM
I agree with all that has been said. My first impression of the AGUI forum was “Ehhh? Why did they design it like this? Why didn’t they just copy Zoog’s format?” The AUGI site really is a bit difficult to navigate and very hard to read. No offense to the AUGI site, but their site really makes you realize what a great job Chris has done on his site. Hats off to Zoog!

gregcashen
2003-10-03, 06:18 PM
Keep in mind, this site was created using a phpbb2 template. In fact, I think this is the default template or a variation of it. Everything done here is open source and can be downloaded to anyone's server and they can create their own site just like this. Some of the features here are mods, that is, they are modifications to the original phpbb bulletin board code that allow us to post attachments, give us the image of the week, some of the other features on the front page.

Anyway, not to diminish what Chris has done here, because it is excellent! But anyone here can setup an account with a web server that provides support for php and mysql (aitcom.com and ipowerweb.com are a couple) and for about $20-$30/month you could create a site just like this...except without all the people!

P.S. I only mention this because Chris has previously mentioned it in earlier posts. Otherwise I would not rain on his parade :wink:

gregcashen
2003-10-03, 06:41 PM
I noticed a couple of things about the augi site...

1) It takes a lot more clicks to get around than it does here.
2) The white background gets tiring after a short while...Zoog's blue background is a mellow enough shade that it doesn't glare at me!

just my $0.02

christopher.zoog51272
2003-10-03, 07:40 PM
Keep in mind, this site was created using a phpbb2 template. In fact, I think this is the default template or a variation of it. Everything done here is open source and can be downloaded to anyone's server and they can create their own site just like this. Some of the features here are mods, that is, they are modifications to the original phpbb bulletin board code that allow us to post attachments, give us the image of the week, some of the other features on the front page.

Anyway, not to diminish what Chris has done here, because it is excellent! But anyone here can setup an account with a web server that provides support for php and mysql (aitcom.com and ipowerweb.com are a couple) and for about $20-$30/month you could create a site just like this...except without all the people!

P.S. I only mention this because Chris has previously mentioned it in earlier posts. Otherwise I would not rain on his parade :wink:

Thanks a lot greg, my shiny armor is now tarished...

"pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" :wink: :wink:

actually greg is right, I'm not a super genius, just a guy that loves to tinker with stuff.

jbalding48677
2003-10-03, 08:26 PM
If it was really easy, everyone would do it.

Thanks Chris.

gregcashen
2003-10-03, 09:35 PM
Yes...let me clarify that it is still not easy. Trust me, I tried it. While setting up the initial bulletin board is a snap, the mods can be very tricky and time consuming to get set up correctly. Some of them do require some coding and knowing which to use is the trick.

Let me reiterate, Chris has done an exceptional job here. I am thankful to have this resource in such a useful format!

Steve_Stafford
2003-10-03, 09:41 PM
This is a very comfortable format to me. I'm trying hard to get comfy with AUGI, we'll see. Chris has done a very nice job with this forum and it is a pleasure being associated with it and everyone here. I raise my glass to you Chris and all 400 plus of us! :beer: :beer:

All this due praise, he's a DAD now and it's Friday! Cool!

slb
2003-10-04, 01:49 PM
http://www.rugi.org

Temporary thing or is it gone?

The site that co-hosts it... "forgot to pay the bill" :?

It'll be back up shortly.