PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Linking and Network Locations

craig.donison
2010-08-24, 03:44 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with Revit remembering the path for linked files that exist in a network location. I have a revit template created that has a few AutoCAD references linked into it permenantly. This way any project created from that template has the necessary links in it already. However, any time a "saveas" is done to said project, the links are somehow lost, the path actually changes.

The Network path would orgininally look something like:
Q:\Directory1\Directory2\Directory3\Directory4\CADReference.dwg

Once the project has had a saveas performed to it if you try to open the file again you're greeted with the unresolved references dialog. If you show the details in the dialog, the path has suddenly changed to:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Directory4\CADReference.dwg

It just seems like Revit is incapable of maintaining a network path. I've checked to make sure all of the paths are set to relative. I even added the reference location to "places". I figured that wouldn't do anything, but thought I'd try anyway.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a different approach I should be taking on this?

Thanks!

dhurtubise
2010-08-24, 11:54 PM
You have to be careful the way you map drive. I found that using different method yield different results.
Does that happen all the time? On every machine?

craig.donison
2010-08-25, 03:42 PM
Correct, this occurs every time on every machine in the office.

Eric Stewart
2010-08-25, 04:17 PM
Once you save the project, is it on the same mapped drive as the template?

craig.donison
2010-08-25, 05:05 PM
Ahh yeah good point. The projects saved from the template are saved to the same network drive yes.

dhurtubise
2010-08-25, 08:13 PM
Could you share the file?

patricks
2010-09-02, 05:48 PM
Why not just set the CAD link path to Absolute? As long as those links never change, there shouldn't be a problem.