PDA

View Full Version : Creating objects using linked file

ksga
2010-08-26, 06:28 AM
Hi.
I'm trying to place doors and windows in a linked file (Structural engineer > IFC > Open IFC > Save RVT > Link RVT)

The linked model contains "holes" where I have to place doors.
At first glance I can't place object in the linked file, but of course i can not just open the structural engineers file and add the objects directly (who owns what discussion...)

I tried creating a solid extrusion in the void, and then placing the door in the solid, but this does not seem like a proper way to place more than 100 doors, and then maintaning their possition for the duration of the project.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I'm using RAC 2010

m20roxxers
2010-08-26, 07:47 AM
Non hosted doors.

ksga
2010-08-26, 08:16 AM
Non hosted doors.

Exert from RAC User's Guide

You can create a family that is hosted by the active work plane. This can be very useful both in a project environment and within a nested family where you may need a nested sub-component to reside on a particular plane. You can make any non-hosted family a work plane-based family.

Note:Only non-hosted components can become work plane-based families. Doors and windows, for instance, are hosted by walls and cannot become work plane-based components.

If it is indeed possible to make a non hosted door/window, could you please explain how?

m20roxxers
2010-08-26, 10:25 AM
Create a new generic model family don't use any of the hosted options, just the standard one.

Once this is open change the catagory from generic model to doors and there you go. Just buiild the geometry and add some width/height parameters and model any extra details you may need.
They will use door tags and schedule as doors aswell.

As a point of interest you can use facebased families and turn on room bounding in the link file and it will attach to the structural openings, however I would not recommend this workflow with changes and so forth,

Jmickledesign
2010-08-26, 04:33 PM
Why not copy/monitor the wall objects from the linked view into your project then just change the opening types to the door of your choice.

ksga
2010-08-27, 09:28 AM
Why not copy/monitor the wall objects from the linked view into your project then just change the opening types to the door of your choice.

Since I'm working with linked models, I can't change the opening type.

So for now i'll try using m20roxxers suggestion

Jmickledesign
2010-08-30, 02:03 PM
Thats why I said copy/monitor the walls then they will no longer be in the linked view and you can manipulate as needed.