PDA

View Full Version : More curtainwall fun.......

cliff collins
2010-08-26, 08:53 PM
Expanding on the UV Divided Surface Massing topic.........

I have worked out the method of Divided Surface, turn off UV, then use ref. planes as "intersects" to make a custom divided surface pattern.
Again, the walls are all canted from plumb, and have non-orthogonal profiles--i.e. sloped top and sides as well.

So--I'm now trying to create the "rays" which angle and taper across the flush face of the curtainwall. They will be a white fritted glass.

I can not get the "intersects" to work with the 90 deg. vert. and hor. grids and the new
angled "rays". It will work with the rays and SOME of the 90 deg grid intersects, but not all
of them together.

I tried setting the workplane to the canted wall and drew the ref. planes for intersects,
but no luck.

See attached. The red "rays" are not working correctly when trying to use the ref. planes from the elevation view as intersects.

cheers

xiqx
2010-08-27, 08:22 AM
interesting thing you have done

could you share one of the walls from the project for me to study?

thanks

mthurnauer
2010-08-27, 04:33 PM
If you think about how this will be built, you won't actually be dividing the glass panels at the array lines, but rather you will have a bunch of unique custom insulated glass units each with a different frit pattern. I am wondering if you might just be better off modeling a thin plane that is the frit and keep it separate from the curtainwall all together. Then in your glass types in the curtainwall, you might have a GL-1 which is insulated - no frit, a GL-2 which might be insulated - no frit - tempered, and a GL-3 which is insulated with custom frit on 3rd surface. You then refer them to an elevation which dimensions the frit.

dhurtubise
2010-08-28, 12:22 PM
Do you get a warning that says all intersect couldnt be used?
If so the "horizontal" interesect cannot cross the regular U grid. Easiest way is to turn off the U&V and use only interesct.