PDA

View Full Version : Aligning a Callout to an Angled Line

RobertB
2010-08-26, 10:50 PM
There are times where you need to align a callout along an angled line so that the resulting callout's view is orthographic on a sheet. However, you cannot use the Align tool to align the callout's boundary. You also cannot select the callout's boundary during a Rotate.

So you may think you are left to eyeball the alignment.

I have discovered the following process to precisely align a callout (and its view) to a line that is at an unknown angle.

Place the callout.
Use the callout's rotate grip to roughly align the callout. Note that the rotate grip indicates the upper left corner of the view so align appropriately.
Switch to the callout's view.
Turn off cropping.
Move the cropping region using the lower points of the annotation crop region.
Start the Rotate tool.
Position the rotation grip snapped to one of the lower points of the annotation crop region.
Select the first point of the rotation using the opposite lower point of the annotation crop region.
Select the desired rotation.
Turn cropping back on.This results in a view that is precisely aligned to the desired element.

I've attached a video in a ZIP file as an example.

gabecottam428011
2010-09-15, 08:39 PM
...to a line that is at an unknown angle.

Annotate Tab --> Dimension Panel --> Angular
Your angle is no longer unknown - just select the callout and use the rotate command. You can type in the exact angle you want.

Simon.Whitbread
2010-09-21, 08:48 PM
Great tip Robert.

We have taken it a step further and use this process on scope boxes.

This means the callout or view extents can then be aligned to the scope box.

A great example of this is an angled riser where you need similar callouts for each level

Create ONE Scope box - appropriately named (East riser)
Create Callouts for each level
From the elment properties box, select the Scope Box

Now all the views have identical extents, and if you need to change them, all you do is change the scope box

RobertB
2010-09-21, 09:09 PM
Great tip Robert.

A great example of this is an angled riser where you need similar callouts for each level

Now all the views have identical extents, and if you need to change them, all you do is change the scope boxThanks, and that's a cool idea too!

RobertB
2010-09-21, 09:13 PM
Annotate Tab --> Dimension Panel --> Angular
Your angle is no longer unknown - just select the callout and use the rotate command. You can type in the exact angle you want.The reported angle is only as good as the rounding. IOW, not to be trusted.

gabecottam428011
2010-09-21, 09:19 PM
The reported angle is only as good as the rounding. IOW, not to be trusted.

I see. My angular rounding is set to 2 decimal places which is far more accurate than I have ever needed for my callouts.

I suppose you could change the rounding for a minute, but that wouldn't be nearly as elaborate a solution.

Simon.Whitbread
2010-09-22, 08:54 PM
The reported angle is only as good as the rounding.

Yeah - and then consider us poor metric saps!

I'm going to make another post and rant :mad: on that one rather than detract from you great tip

... and here is my rant (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=124195)

pfaudler
2011-05-24, 04:11 PM
Great tip Robert.

Now all the views have identical extents, and if you need to change them, all you do is change the scope box

Simon,

I am trying to use this process on Scope box but I can't. Can you please explain how to use this technique for scope box?

Thanks

Simon.Whitbread
2011-05-24, 09:14 PM
It's really very simple...

From the 'View' tab, select the Scope Box tool
Create the Scope Box in the location required - Set the height (if you forget, just switch to an elevation or 3D view, select and stretch using grips), rotate, stretch as necessary.
In the properties box give it a name (Riser 1 - something that is meaningful)
Create your callouts
Select the outline of the box (or the viewport boundary - same thing) and from the properties box scroll down to where you can see 'Scope Box'
Select the right one and away you go.
Repeat for all similar callouts (and floor plans, sections... wherever you have views that need to have the same extents)

HTH

Simon