PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Revit + Hardware?

dnilsson
2004-12-20, 03:45 PM
As it happens, my Revit 7.0 CD has arrived at the same time we are setting up new workstations for the office, and I'm wondering if this is going to present any problems. I assume I can't install and activate 7.0 on a new machine without de-activating 6.1 on an old machine first (we have stand-alone licenses). The plan so far is to install 7.0 but leave it in demo mode, and then license it as each machine is rolled out and the old one is removed. I guess I'm wondering if upgrading the software and hardware at the same time will create any licensing glitches. I can't afford to interrupt users work flow more than we already are. I contacted my reseller who said they could fix any problems we run into, but didn't offer any insight as to what those problems might be. Has anyone else done this? Am I worrying about nothing?

sbrown
2004-12-20, 03:49 PM
You can run as many version of revit as you want on a machine. So its not a problem to have 6.1 and 7.0 on the same machine, in fact it is very typical.

dnilsson
2004-12-20, 08:50 PM
You can run as many version of revit as you want on a machine. So its not a problem to have 6.1 and 7.0 on the same machine, in fact it is very typical.

But what happens when you have 6.1 on one machine and 7.0 on another, both utilizing the same contract number? I'd like to install 7 as we set up each new machine, but I'm thinking I'll have to leave it in demo mode until I deactivate 6.1 on the machine it replaces, if that makes any sense.

LRaiz
2004-12-20, 10:00 PM
You should not have technical problems installing and activating 7.0 on a computer different from the one where you used 6.1. I don't think there are legal problems doing that either. There is no requirement to deactivate 6.1 after starting to use 7.0