PDA

View Full Version : kinky hatches

ivan.239950
2010-08-27, 08:21 PM
We are using floors to show hardscape areas, terraces, etc in a landscape plan. Many of our floors have subtle point manipulation so the overall grading points are true. The result is that all the surface hatches are deformed, especially where we have multiple points defined along the floor boundary. It seems to be treating the surface hatches as a UV tiling solution. Image attached shows how a cross hatch breaks and then starts to show curved lines where we have a grade-break in a surface. Any tips on getting these hatches to look right in plan?
thanks, Ivan

dhurtubise
2010-08-28, 12:17 PM
Sorry, not much you can do about that.
You could remove the hatch and place a filled region on top of it.

d.stairmand
2010-08-29, 04:47 AM
Ivan
We generally use Element Overrides in this situation
Select them all & then override them together with the same pattern

ivan.239950
2010-08-30, 04:55 PM
Overriding an element doesn't change the way the hatch displays, unless I am missing something.
This seems to be a fairly large problem no? The model hatch seems completely useless when we can't even control the way it displays. 'diagonal up' for example, goes in every direction depending on the bending of the surface. Pretty useless I guess. The work around is that I have to draw every 3d floor as a 2d floor? Not so elegant.
Ivan

tory.puglisi
2010-08-30, 11:48 PM
Had exactly the same issue. Ivan's right, it can't be solved with overrides. dhurtubise is also right, there's not much one can do about it except turn it off and draw a filled region over.

Not elegant, but then again, when was anything in Revit "elegant"? Until someone who knows more about Revit on this forum informs us otherwise, that is all we can do about it.

Yet another example of how Revit / BIM is the way of the future...

Munkholm
2010-08-31, 07:34 AM
IF the pattern in use is a MODEL pattern, you can simpy use the "Align" command on the lines in the pattern/hatch :beer:

but IF the pattern is a DRAFTING pattern, you´re stuck with filled regions.... :roll:

ivan.239950
2010-08-31, 05:05 PM
Thanks Munkholm, but it doesn't actually work. You are right that model hatches can be moved, but that doesn't change the distortion, warping and flipping that displays on the surface. Model hatches just get distorted, warped and flipped at a different orientation.
What is needed is a 'project hatch' function, such as exists in most modeling programs when applying materials so that the hatch is projected onto the surface from a plane, usually the world xy plane. I thought this would exist, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere.
Perhaps my problem is the work-flow? I want to model a surface that slopes and warps between different points--Imagine a sidewalk. It slopes at 2% across and has another slope along its length. What we have done is make a floor and then adjust corners and midpoints up and down to meet important datums, such as building FFE and street elevation. Maybe there is a better way to do this that doesn't involve using floor family?
ivan

ivan.239950
2010-08-31, 05:52 PM
just so you know why I'm so frustrated about the hatch issue. This will look great on a drawing set, right?

Munkholm
2010-08-31, 06:04 PM
Ahh... Now i understand... Never tried it with "odd" shapes like that, with curved edges etc.
Just tried to replicate the situation, and sure enough the "align tool" won´t do any good in this case.

I believe you´re stuck with "Filled Regions" for now - But an easy way to do this, could be to:
1: Pick the "Floor" and chose "Edit Boundary"
2. Select all the boundary lines, and "copy to clip board"
3. Exit the "Edit Boundary" tab.
4. Start a new Filled Region, and "Paste Aligned"

Good thing: It´s FAST
Bad thing: The filled region won´t be constrained to the Floor Boundary

Have fun...

PS: IF you can live without the curved edges ? You might get lucky with the Align Tool afterall....

ivan.239950
2010-08-31, 06:27 PM
Well, I do need the curves because it's a driveway. But your concise description of how to do the filled regions doesn't seem too bad so I guess I'll go with that.
Thanks very much