PDA

View Full Version : Help with conditional formula in schedule

jared.dean
2010-08-27, 10:00 PM
I'm wondering if anyone here has done something like this. I've been instructed to make a wall takeoff schedule designed to look like our standard excel schedule that we use. In Excel, we have a column for "Quantity" and one for "Units". Units can be SF, CY, LF, etc. The problem is that "Quantity" should be a calculated value based upon what units are being used.

Ideally what i would like to do is add a text parameter to Materials for "Units" and use an IF statement to calculate the "Quantity" based upon what units are needed. However, IF statements don't seem to work using strings.

Any takers on this one?

Alfredo Medina
2010-08-27, 10:08 PM
Please refer to this other thread:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=122746

jared.dean
2010-08-30, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I've tried going down that road already by using an integer field and I realize that this way may be my only option. I was just was hoping there would be another way so i wouldn't have to train the users here what numbers they should enter in when generating their schedules.

Alfredo Medina
2010-08-30, 02:45 PM
I wonder if you have tried using different columns to calculate quantities, each with its own units. You can override the units of a field by selecting the field in the Formatting tab, and unchecking the "Use project settings" option.

jared.dean
2010-08-30, 03:25 PM
Excellent idea. I've successfully overridden the units to only show a number and it looks great. The only hiccup is that calculated fields seem to only accept one type of unit therefore i can't mix length, area, and volume in the same column. Oh well....

dhurtubise
2010-08-30, 03:48 PM
Excellent idea. I've successfully overridden the units to only show a number and it looks great. The only hiccup is that calculated fields seem to only accept one type of unit therefore i can't mix length, area, and volume in the same column. Oh well....

You can but you have to "kill" the unit by using say; AreaValue / 1SF

jared.dean
2010-08-30, 06:25 PM
That did it! It works perfect now. Thanks to both of you for the help.