PDA

View Full Version : Linking 3-D ACAD MEP Files to Revit

crawfords
2010-08-27, 10:19 PM
We are attempting to link the mechanical sub's ACAD MEP files into our Revit model as we enter the final spasm of coordination. They can be linked directly, but I think it would be a lot easier to manage if they were all linked into their own Revit file, and then THAT file is linked into our architectural model.

However, the ACAD objects don't show up in this linked Revit file. There doesn't seem to be a setting analogous to the Overlay vs. Attachment settings for linked Revit files. Is there a way to get the ACAD objects to show up in the meta-linked Revit file, or am I stuck with linking them all directly? Thanks.

-Crawford

dhurtubise
2010-08-28, 12:13 PM
Why are you linking in a Revit file THEN into your project?

crawfords
2010-09-02, 11:03 PM
The idea was that it would easier to control the visibility with a single Revit link as opposed to eight or so DWG links.

-C

Charles.Leman
2010-09-02, 11:47 PM
Have I understood properly that the files are 3D?

If so, we have had some success linking the file while editing an in-place family (generic model category). The resulting object can then be sliced (sectionned), and the visibility can be controlled either by setting the graphics overrides for the layers, or with graphical overrides on the element. Even with multiple links, once desired visibility has been established for each layer, a view template which specifically controls the visibility of imported categories can be created to replicate the visibility in other views.

And since the file is linked (which can not be done with a regular family, only an in-place), simply doing a "reload from" in the manage links dialog updates the object.