PDA

View Full Version : design options vs. phasing

tropitech
2010-08-28, 03:20 AM
I've just read some good tuts on design options and phasing on revitzone.com, and also read through my revit 2008 metric tutorials hardcopy version of the design option/phasing chapters (i now use 2010 & 2011 but started in v.2008 as a student so i can usually find the right buttons;). However, as yet i've had no need for these tools...until now.

My understanding of design options is that they are used to develop differing ideas for small areas like an entrance/lobby/window configuration or other areas of similar size ie. small specific areas.

My understanding of phasing is that is is used to develop different ideas for larger areas ie. adding extra levels to a building, or specifying same for a demolition/construction timeline.

i've had a play with both tools and can get them to do what i want, and i know they each do different things, but they seem similar enough in operation it's left me wondering why both the 'design options' and 'phasing' tools aren't assimilated into a single tool? each 'design option' could still be viewed perhaps in an expanding file tree underneath the relevant 'phase', and 'design options' could even be copy-and-paste(able) between them.

comments? opinions? anyone wanna tell me i don't know what i'm talking about (lol)?

twiceroadsfool
2010-08-28, 03:24 AM
The tools do entirely different things, and are handled and displayed entirely different.

Design Options, are for Options (This or that).

Phasing is for points in time (This, then that).

Design Options reflect that by being a visibility control in each view, and in the way things are scheduled as well. Plus DO's still have phasing.

Views happen at a point in time, in look respectively back, depending on Phase Filters.

Using the wrong tool for the job wont have pleasant side effects. Trying to use Phasing for Options, your wall joins will get wacked, youll need duplicate rooms, itll get ugly.

Using Options for Phasing, you wont be able to differentiate between existing and new, without kludging a Filter.

Use the right tool for the job.

tropitech
2010-08-28, 03:45 AM
ah i see (said the blind man)
Thanks twiceroadsfool that explains it perfectly :)