PDA

View Full Version : Resizing of tree

Gerhard
2004-12-20, 05:30 PM
Need this tree in a smaller shape, better in different sizes.

I tried to export the dwg to AutoCAD, resized it to me liking and re-imported into the family. It worked till to the fact that the colorers changed to blue.

Is there an other way or can somebody tell me how to do it.
Actually there seems to be in some trees the option of scaling, but somehow it is not activated.

Gerhard

David Conant
2004-12-20, 05:47 PM
To build a scalable tree or plant:
Create a planting family with the geometry you want to scale.
Create a second planting family, load and place an instance of the first family in the second.
Create types (assign heights, species, etc) as desired.
The height of the nested family will be adjusted to match the height parameter setting of the host family. All other geometry in the nested family will scale proportionally.

You can add elements to the host family that will not scale if you want. For example, you might use the nested family for a 3d representation, but add a parametric circle to the host in order to have plan representation that in not linearly scaled with height. Complex plan representations like squiggly lines are better drawn in the nested family since parameterizing them can be tricky. In the nest, they scale without difficulty.

rhys
2004-12-21, 11:09 AM
To build a scalable tree or plant:
All other geometry in the nested family will scale proportionally.

Complex plan representations like squiggly lines are better drawn in the nested family since parameterizing them can be tricky. In the nest, they scale without difficulty.
Sounds like a good way to make scalable plan representations which are more "graphically rich" in plan representation than the standard Accurender stick trees. Problem is how so you get "squiggly lines" to scale? I am assuming they are added to the nested family how can they be locked so they scale -are we talking symbolic lines?. I need baby step instructions to make this work or an example?

Gerhard
2004-12-21, 08:05 PM
The advice of David is for a new family and I will certainly try to do it.
But my problem is that I try to use a tree of a family in which a dwg file is loaded.
Can that tree be somehow resized??
Gerhard

rhys
2004-12-22, 09:47 AM
I haven't found a way to resize an imported dwg within a family. Exporting and scaling then importing to a new family works. The colour issue may be due to the invert colours oprion being checked. The linework colour can be changed though in the family category after import.
David Drivers Gardening with Revit session at AU dealt with the plant editor (unfortuately I missed this session) and his web site www.davidddriver.com looks as if it will have his course notes soon. They are not there yet.

beegee
2004-12-22, 09:41 PM
Hi Rhys,

David's course notes have been posted on the AU site (http://www.autodeskevents.com/au2005/index.cfm?action=content&contentID=01)for download.

rhys
2004-12-22, 11:44 PM
Hi Rhys,

David's course notes have been posted on the AU site (http://www.autodeskevents.com/au2005/index.cfm?action=session.doclogin&error=1) for download.
yes they have- but his notes refer to an example file relevant to this thread,
David has not posted this yet.

beegee
2004-12-23, 01:09 AM
In 7.0, Imported DWG , DXF and Images can be scaled after importing using the Resize tool.

I haven't found a way to resize an imported dwg within a family.

Gerhard
2004-12-23, 05:32 AM
In 7.0, Imported DWG , DXF and Images can be scaled after importing using the Resize tool.

That did the job, thanks.

So guess would be a good thing, to check a bit better on the tools!
Apart, it seems that attending the annual AU gives really some benefit. But that option is not really feasible to everybody, specially the ones from far off.
The link mentioned before, for the tutorials needs a password. I understand somehow, that this is an additional "cake" for the ones which attended the meeting.
But guess I would be also quite fair, if people who do not have the means to attend could get somehow that additional information. It was an issue previously. I remember downloading content last year for the first few days after the AU, till the gates were looked with a password. The documents came in quite handy and guess so would the new ones.
Anyone giving a thought to that (AutoDesk)?
Gerhard

rhys
2004-12-23, 09:56 AM
Hi Beegee
Can this be done from within the family contolled by an instance or type parameter?
R

SkiSouth
2004-12-23, 01:59 PM
Hi Rhys,

David's course notes have been posted on the AU site (http://www.autodeskevents.com/au2005/index.cfm?action=content&contentID=01)for download.

BG,
does not do any good to have the notes posted without a password :-( (like me). Any where else to look at David's notes (and other info)?

Tobie
2005-01-18, 02:58 AM
did the exercise, but somethings seems to be wrong. tree imports into project, but disappears when scaled up or down.
two files used included.
thanks.