PDA

View Full Version : Wall based family

pdickman
2010-08-30, 07:06 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to make a toilet family without a 3-d component, but with symbolic lines in 3 views. My problem is that the lines will not move when the wall thickness changes. It works fine in plan. In the side elevation, the lines will not move when I change the wall thickness. They do move when I am in the family editor and change the wall thickness. I've had this problem with other wall based families before so I must be missing something. Any ideas?

andy.239668
2010-08-30, 08:00 PM
Just saying what instantly pop's into my head, but can you group the lines in elevation view, then align and lock the group to the reference plane that defines the wall face?

pdickman
2010-08-30, 08:04 PM
I did group, align and lock to the actual wall face. That didn't work. There was not a wall face reference plane to start with (I started with REVIT's 2d toilet). I tried making one and locked it to the wall face, then the group to the wall face ref plane. Still no luck...

jamesgchambers
2010-08-30, 08:35 PM
Are the symbolic lines drawn with the reference plane you aligned/locked to the wall edge as their workplane?

pdickman
2010-08-30, 08:44 PM
The work plane the lines are drawn on is "reference plane".

jamesgchambers
2010-08-30, 09:00 PM
Ahh... I see, sorry hadn't seen the posted family. I thought you were trying to draw lines ON a wall surface, not perpendicular to one.

We've had the best success with these types of families by nesting a series of 2D detail components in the family. Then aligning/locking those to the desired objects.

pdickman
2010-08-30, 09:01 PM
I should no better than to start with a REVIT family, even if it is really simple. I started over with a plumbing wall faced family and it seems to be working. I guess the clue should have been that there was not wall face reference plane.

thanks.