PDA

View Full Version : Display Spasm

sthedens
2010-08-31, 08:20 PM
We have one workstation (Win 7 x64, Revit AR 2011) in our office that has a display spasm during certain Revit operations. One of the operations is when moving an existing model element. When the element is selected the interface adjusts and options bar turns a pale green color. When the object is moved, multiple empty option bar lines appear as the screen spasms then refreshes back to one option bar line. The whole spasm lasts about 1 second, but it is maddening to the user. Neither closing and opening Revit, nor restarting the workstation helped.

I swapped out the existing Nvidia Quaddro FX 1500 card with a 1700 thinking that might be the issue. However, the problem still occurs.

scgillin.182228
2010-09-01, 03:41 AM
We had this problem on a laptop running Revit 2011. I can't remember where on AUGI I found the answer but, right clicking on the option bar and docking it to the bottom of the screen "fixed" the issue.

sthedens
2010-09-01, 01:36 PM
It appears to be more than just an annoyance if you are in a 3D view. The user was selecting walls that were penetrating the roof and attaching them to the roof. For each attach the spasm would occur. Subsequently looking at the floor plan they noticed the wall locations had moved!

The same user told me that they had a certain workset active and newly placed elements were going onto a different workset. They could fix them as a secondary step, but this should not be necessary.

Not having these issues on other workstations. I'm reinstalling Revit 2011.

sthedens
2010-09-01, 02:08 PM
We had this problem on a laptop running Revit 2011. I can't remember where on AUGI I found the answer but, right clicking on the option bar and docking it to the bottom of the screen "fixed" the issue.

Reinstalling did nothing. Docking the Options Bar to the bottom "fixes" the problem. Although it's not really a fix...

eric.piotrowicz
2010-09-01, 03:40 PM
This sounds like the very same issue that has been covered extensively here regarding Revit 2010 screen jumping. If you do a seach you'll find there are several ways to minimize the damage but there hasn't been a true fix of any sort. Docking the options bar at the bottom works for a while and then it starts again and you have to dock it at the top and it stops again for a while. Unchecking Press&Drag keeps objects from moving while the screen jumps around. Are you running dual monitors? There seems to be some success by running Revit on your primary monitor instead of the secondary screen.

Alfredo Medina
2010-09-01, 03:50 PM
...screen jumping.

Some weeks ago, Bregnier posted a comprehensive guide to the solution of the screen jumping issue, at: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=120756

sthedens
2010-09-01, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the post and thread links.

We are a dual monitor shop and this user had Revit on the secondary monitor. Moving it to the primary did not help.

We usually have our users turn off Press and Drag. 2011 is new to us and we forgot to do this (proabably because it's now down in the Status Bar and we didn't notice it).

meng005
2011-04-01, 05:06 PM
This might be a byproduct of the dual monitors being different. Either they have different Windows resolution settings, or they are different manufacture models.

Baldwin_4-6-0
2011-04-01, 06:57 PM
We had a user with that problem on a laptop with Win 7 and Revit 2011.
The docking at the bottom worked but there was other graphic issues.

We boiled it down to being a graphics card, processor, windows 7 issue.

We just gave her a new CPU tower instead of a laptop and problem solved.

We also upgraded all the drivers for the graphics cards for all of our CPU towers.

nweeks
2011-04-01, 09:17 PM
We have had multiple users with this problem. We found they all have the project browser floating. If they redock it, close and reopen Revit, it seems to go away...even if they undock the project browser. I would be curious to know if those posting have/see the same.