PDA

View Full Version : Detail Library ideas

seandburke
2010-09-01, 06:39 AM
I'm very curious to know if anyone has found good solutions for managing Revit drafting view-based details in a library. Having collected and vetted hundreds from existing projects, we now are discussing intelligent ways of presenting the graphics and meta-data for search and filtering based on criteria important to various users.

I know of no off the shelf solution that does this particular task. Sure there are content managers, but most do not deal with views, or project files at all for that matter, just component families. I've been down the road of a custom web-based solution for AutoCAD, and don't wish to go there again.

We are exploring some custom solutions configuring SharePoint or iDAM, but getting the search results' data into Revit then relies on manual means or some API. I was wondering if perhaps Vault is the right direction, since it now works (http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2010/08/autodesk-vault-for-revit-users.html) well with Revit files. Anyone explored this yet? Time to set up a server.

If Autodesk had their own Revit Detail Library application or web solution, and worked for our needs, then I would not be struggling so much with this. Alas, we are still waiting.

Any suggestions are welcome.

dhurtubise
2010-09-02, 03:24 AM
Vault is actually not too bad. First considering it's free :-) and second considering it can search for families for pretty much every piece of information.

rudolfweyers346383
2010-09-02, 06:43 AM
Is there a plugin we need to download for revit, or will the download from the subscription center work by default?

dhurtubise
2010-09-02, 01:19 PM
Theres no plugin for Vault, it's a separate application from the subscription. You will need the server side and the client side.

seandburke
2010-09-03, 04:14 AM
We are definitely setting up the server soon to perform some tests.
Thanks!