PDA

View Full Version : Modeled site with building levels

dalewww
2004-12-20, 09:02 PM
Newbie here. I have created my first site and laid out the building. Everything seems to be working out just fine for now. At this time the site model is one file and the building is another.

We do our elevation levels for our building starting at 100'-0" being the main floor subfloor (high end residential) and we go up and down from there. The site plan given to us shows true elevation heights, grade close to the main level subfloor would be 1000''-0".

Is there a good way to join these two together and still be able to use 100'-0" and 1000'-0" respectively?

I want this to work because I would like to see the site while going into my 3D view.

Thank you.

beegee
2004-12-20, 09:37 PM
If you want your topo on the site plan to identify contours as 1000 +/-, you need to relocate the project. Check Help or search here for that procedure, its fairly easy. You would , as part of that process, relocate the linked building file to remain relative to the topo.

Your building file should remain unchanged, since you do not wish to share co-ordinates, it will report floor levels as 100 +.

Is that what you want to achieve ?

dalewww
2004-12-20, 09:59 PM
Helping me out once again Beegee.

In part that is what I want to achieve. However, I was hoping to achieve it within one drawing file and not have to link one into another. I think you are describing keeping them separate and linking them.

Is there a way to do this within one file? It seems this is the same as norh and true north, in principle.

I might be getting in to deep too soon.

Thanks again

beegee
2004-12-20, 10:12 PM
If you use one file, and you just want to label the contours as 1000 +/-, you could do that by placing manual labels, but why not go the linked file path ?

dalewww
2004-12-20, 10:23 PM
Thanks Beegee. I have read the other post and am going to try the two ways of doing it and see what one I like.

As far as not linking, I thought that it would be a bit easier to have everything in one file; to edit one file, especiall when we regrade the site in relation to where the house sits. I thought that if I had the site in a different file that kind of work would be combersome and time consumming. Plus I am used to having the whole thing together when I do 3D view, although linking does provide that as well.

I am going to have to play with this one. I wanted to know what the best route to take would be. The other post said to use worksets or linking. Looks like some homework for me.