PDA

View Full Version : Calculate Value = First two letters of other Parameter

cdsuggs
2010-09-01, 06:44 PM
In Excel, one can use the following expression to capture and display the first two (aka: Left two) characters of another cell. (see attached)

LEFT(A1,2)

I attempted replacing A1 with Type Mark in a Calculated Value for my Wall Schedule, but alas Revit doesn't understand.

So my question is...

Is there an expression Revit understands that can deliver the same functionality? I'm trying to avoid duplicate entry.

Many thanks,
Chris

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-01, 07:04 PM
Nope. You cant do it like in Excel.

But, if youre trying to segregate whats in your wall tag, in to the Type Mark, or something similar, you can use multiple parameters in the tag, and have one of them "be" the first two characters.

dhurtubise
2010-09-02, 03:04 AM
I have a plugin in beta testing that will actually be able to do that... and many more. I'll keep you posted.

cdsuggs
2010-09-02, 02:01 PM
I have a plugin in beta testing that will actually be able to do that... and many more. I'll keep you posted.

Sweet, please do!

By any chance are you working on a Plug-in to fix the "Door numbering based on room" oversight?

dhurtubise
2010-09-02, 02:05 PM
Sweet, please do!

By any chance are you working on a Plug-in to fix the "Door numbering based on room" oversight?

There's already some that exists for that :-)

cdsuggs
2010-09-02, 02:31 PM
There's already some that exists for that :-)

The only ones I know of are work-arounds, in a sense. Like, click a button to renumber.

dhurtubise
2010-09-02, 02:39 PM
The only ones I know of are work-arounds, in a sense. Like, click a button to renumber.

I meant plugins