PDA

View Full Version : Lost Room Elements

ededios
2010-09-01, 09:22 PM
I can't figure this out. I thought there's has to be something wrong with the file so I asked Autodesk for help. Response has been too slow, it's been about almost 2 weeks and they haven't had an answer of fix yet
I've attached an image of what my problem is. I had rooms placed on the second floor, similar to the third floor. One day some rooms in the second floor were gone. the rooms are listed on my schedule as not placed. I tried placing them, and hovering over the area, i don't get the crossing lines that show when placing a room. When I place it anyway, i get an error, multiple rooms are in the same place and its' not visible in the view check view settings. Cutting a section through that area, shows there is a Corridor placed, but I can't find it on the floor plan.
Autodesk said my walls having a 5" base offset is the problem and the rooms are overflowing, but the third floor walls have the same offset and those rooms are fine. I'm confused.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or insight would be very helpful.
Thank you!

ededios
2010-09-01, 09:25 PM
Sorry I forgot the link!

dhurtubise
2010-09-02, 03:01 AM
The 5" base offset doesnt have anything to do with your problem.
Would you happen to have Design Options or Phase in your projetc?

ededios
2010-09-02, 06:54 PM
No design options or phases.

eric.piotrowicz
2010-09-02, 07:26 PM
This may have nothing to do with your problem but it appears that the corridor rooms are shorter than the rooms on other levels. You might want to check the room's Limit Offset as well as the view range. If the cut plane is above the top of the room then it will not show up in the plan view even though its still in the project.

ededios
2010-09-02, 10:04 PM
I checked the Limit Offset, and it's correct in the Corridor, because the ceiling is lower there. The section cut is through the Judges rooms with a 10' ceiling, but the corridor is what is visible as the room, and that has an 8' ceiling. I did try adjusting it anyway with no results. So far my workaround is to have room separation lines where the walls are drawn and that works. Strange thing is I don't get the error message saying i have room separation lines and walls overlapping.
Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm trying as many different things as I can imagine!

Ning Zhou
2010-09-02, 10:20 PM
even though it's unlikely the case, well, are corridor walls room bounding?

ededios
2010-09-02, 10:53 PM
Yes they are. all walls are set to room bounding, but they are not being recognized at all. The corridor room element, i can only see in the section, I can't see it in the plan view. I highlight/select it in the section and i see nothing selected in the plan view.

cliff collins
2010-09-03, 07:02 PM
I know I'm just stating the obvious, but here goes:

1. Check these setting in V/G (attached).
2. Make sure the missing rooms are not hidden with "hide in view"
3. Make sure they are not on a workset which is turned off

Try Isolating Category of just Walls, Rooms and Room Separation Lines.
Go to a 3D axon view and see if they show up.

Perhaps post the Revit model ( or a portion of it ) so we can have a look.

cheers

ededios
2010-09-03, 08:02 PM
Tried it.and still same problem.
The rooms aren't placed, they somehow got deleted.
This is a pretty large file, I'd like to post it, how do you suggest I do a portion?
So I hadn't looked at it in 3D, just plan and sections views. I see a courtroom is a group and the column covers (wall elements) are part of the group could that be a problem?

Thanks for you input!

jeffh
2010-09-03, 08:12 PM
I have seen weird problems like this sometimes because the bases of the walls had offsets. Sometimes you can cut and paste the elements in that are just right back into position and it will clear up strange issues like this.

cliff collins
2010-09-03, 08:21 PM
Try placing room separation lines where the "missing rooms" are in plan.
Delete the "extra" /redundant rooms in the Room Schedule.

Do the rooms now show up in 2nd floor plan?

The courtroom group could be part of the problem--try ungrouping it?

You can make a Group out of the area where the mssing rooms are, then Link it
out, which will create a new Revit project--which may be small enough ( 2MB or less)
to post here.

cheers

ededios
2010-09-16, 11:53 PM
Sorry for taking so long to add a reply!

Sooooo Autodesk developers had to look into the file and it turns out, somewhere there is a Room Separation line, that is causing the error. So the following are the directions I was given and it worked:

1) Go to an elevation view ('South Elevation West' seems to work best).
2) Click on 'Second Floor Plan' level line (line just left of the text)
3) In the Properties box click on 'Edit Type'
4) Uncheck the box next to 'Automatic Room Computation Height'
5) Change the 'Computation Height' to 4'. Click OK.
6) Back in the 2nd floor plan, try placing a room in the previous problem areas.

As for the reason, development thinks it might have been because a room separation got joined to a lower wall (very difficult to tell where or which one now), but it does explain why everything was working one day and not the next!

Does this make sense to anyone? It does to me, but I would like a more detailed explanation if possible. Hopefully I can make some time, and look at each room separation lines, there are many but not enough to keep me from looking through the model.
Thanks everyone for your input!