PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this using floor manipulation tools?

Gadget Man
2010-09-03, 04:56 AM
Hi All,

I'm just trying to achieve the outcome shown on the attached image below.

So far I've been creating the shower recesses in the concrete slab floor (similar to the one shown) using in-place voids. I also have some floor based shower families that include similar voids, so they cut my slab to the correct size and proportion automatically.

However, recently I tried to teach some people the tools to manipulate floors ("Modify Sub Elements" "Add Point", "Add Split Line". etc.) and initially I thought that it would be very straight-forward procedure and a good example of how to use these tools - to create such a recess.

Well... I couldn't... I simply couldn't do it using just these tools. OK, I could produce a shape similar to this but it was very inaccurate and the recess ended up with the slightly slanted walls (rather than having them vertical). And I thought: there MUST be a simpler way!

Is there?

Scott D Davis
2010-09-03, 05:33 AM
yes, floor within a floor. Floor 1 is flat with a hole in it. Floor 2 is inside the hole on floor 1, offset for the depression, then shape edited with a point for the drain.

Gadget Man
2010-09-03, 05:38 AM
yes, floor within a floor. Floor 1 is flat with a hole in it. Floor 2 is inside the hole on floor 1, offset for the depression, then shape edited with a point for the drain.

Thanks Scott!

That is a very good idea - quick and easy. It doesn't use just floor manipulation tools, as I was hoping to showcase, but it's close enough and additionally shows combination of several techniques to achieve the desired outcome.

Thank you!

patricks
2010-09-03, 06:03 PM
You have to use 2 floors because of the dropped edge around the perimeter. If the floor started out flush and then simply sloped towards a drain, you could do that with the slab edit tools alone.

You can approximate it by having slightly angled sides, as you mentioned, but Revit will also likely complain that the "extreme shape edits" cause the floor to not be the correct thickness in some places.

trombe
2010-09-04, 12:49 AM
Thanks Scott!

That is a very good idea - quick and easy. It doesn't use just floor manipulation tools, as I was hoping to showcase, but it's close enough and additionally shows combination of several techniques to achieve the desired outcome.

Thank you!

Jetisart,

yes the system is a welcome addition when it came in, however I have found some problems trying to control fall lines with the tools. The attached image is one of a couple of bathrooms in a recent new home - both with tiles floors. The ensuite is a simple resolution for falls where the shower is set down as described in this thread and shown in your image. No probs with achieving the desired falls in Revit modelling. In the bathroom floor however, I wanted to direct falls variously because the distance was too far for a single drain or to use the easi clean trap in the shower floor (also set down below edge of tiles, rather than being co-planar and then falling to the easy clean waste and trap).

I could not find a way to solve the multiple fall lines in the Revit floor tools (split lines, points etc.) as Revit would determine what it wanted to do and would not let me direct the various lines where I wanted them to be. I could parallel this with some of the resolutions that /Revit will choose to make for hipped roof configurations in the past - especially in the area of the crippled or broken hips where there could be a couple of possible real world geometrical solutions and Revit would have to make a choice (of course) BUT, the other solution was not possible to achieve with say, a roof sketch line offset or whatever.
For the above example of the bathroom multiple falls, I gave up and drafted filled regions to get what I wanted which was frustrating. I like the option to be able to make these layouts in such floors whether they are in concrete or tiles-membrane-ply / fibre cement sheet-timber joist or whatever, and its uses are so wide for aprons and a host of things, however, the tools currently restrict possible outcomes and are not yet flexible enough to be considered finished / a fully implemented toolset.
Its good for simple tasks.
trombe

Steve_Stafford
2010-09-04, 01:46 AM
The floor technique Scott described let's a user avoid the family editor. I find a family "faster" once one is built. Build a few for the typical depression conditions, a little judicious use of instance parameters and ref planes and you're off to the "races".

Gadget Man
2010-09-04, 02:12 AM
The floor technique Scott described let's a user avoid the family editor. I find a family "faster" once one is built. Build a few for the typical depression conditions, a little judicious use of instance parameters and ref planes and you're off to the "races".

Steve, that is true in principal, however, my initial post describes a situation where I wanted to show an example for usage of these tools - in my mind the most obvious in the day-to-day work in small residential building type of work - and I simply failed to achieve the desired result in front of my students.
Granted, I should first check myself if what I wanted to show could be done but to me it was so obviously perfect situation to use these tools that I didn't even think otherwise...

As somebody said: "assume" makes an "a s s" of "you" and "me"... Lesson learned - never to assume anything (in Revit).