PDA

View Full Version : Line Based Family - editable sketch

Andrew Dobson
2010-09-03, 08:46 AM
I am trying to add some timber panelling around a room.

There are many different ways of doing this with wall sweeps etc, but with a wall sweep the sweep must all be the same material, or you need to use multiple sweeps.

I decided to experiment with line-based families, which I haven't used very much in the past.

Using a line based panel, I can make complex panelling with different material which can then be whatever length I choose.

However, a line based family is based on one line. You can't define it with a sketch containing multiple line segments, curves etc and the internal and external corners don't mitre as they do with a wall sweep.

Is there any way to accomplish what I want with a line based family, or is there a better way of accomplishing this?

Many Thanks

Captainkb
2010-09-03, 01:45 PM
I am trying to add some timber panelling around a room.

There are many different ways of doing this with wall sweeps etc, but with a wall sweep the sweep must all be the same material, or you need to use multiple sweeps.

I decided to experiment with line-based families, which I haven't used very much in the past.

Using a line based panel, I can make complex panelling with different material which can then be whatever length I choose.

However, a line based family is based on one line. You can't define it with a sketch containing multiple line segments, curves etc and the internal and external corners don't mitre as they do with a wall sweep.

Is there any way to accomplish what I want with a line based family, or is there a better way of accomplishing this?

Many Thanks

Maybe try a railing?

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-03, 10:54 PM
I would be doing that as another wall type (We call them Finish walls). You can put sweeps on the finish wall, or have it be a stacked wall, or whatever.

Added benefit of when you encounter a wall opening in the actual wall of the room, you can Join Geometry and have the opening cut through it.

Line based family = You can mitre, but you have to build it all in to the family, and its manual. Curves... Line Based families can generate them, if you draw the chord and use trig to model the arc geometry, and be prepared for your machine to grind to a halt.

Open RST if you have it, and notice how Structural Framing (K series bar joists) can be drawn in arcs, and theres nothing special done in the family. Start sending in feedback asking the Factory WHY, and WHY cant we have this in OUR line based families??

ws
2010-09-05, 03:09 PM
I've done what Aaron mentions, for a timber wainscoting (is that an international expression? ;) ) by creating another wall with sweeps at the top for the top molding and at the bottom for the skirting.

Once I had run it around the room I joined the wainscoting wall to the actual wall and that made it stop/start at the openings, although it did not return into the frames within the openings.

STHRevit
2010-09-06, 04:29 AM
If you wanted to stick with line based families, try putting a void in the family at the beginning and end of the extrusion. Give this void an angle parameter and you can then control your internal and external corner joins.

Not saying this is the best option, just an option.
Works well for us for feature cornices and the like.

Take a look at this post, it might help
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=59906&highlight=line+based+families

Scott Womack
2010-09-06, 10:30 AM
I've done what Aaron mentions, for a timber wainscoting (is that an international expression? ;) ) by creating another wall with sweeps at the top for the top molding and at the bottom for the skirting.

Once I had run it around the room I joined the wainscoting wall to the actual wall and that made it stop/start at the openings, although it did not return into the frames within the openings.

You could select the ends of the sweeps, and edited them to a 90 deg return, making them return at the openings.

select the Wall/sweep, and you see a "Modify Returns come up in the Ribbon.

Andrew Dobson
2010-09-06, 10:36 AM
Thanks everyone for the input.

I have tried all of these methods out and we are using a combination of two wall sweeps (as we have different materials for the boarding and dado/skirting) and in-place families.

I would like Autodesk to look at this and provide something more tailor-made.

I have attached a test project showing how we are doing it.

ws
2010-09-06, 10:41 AM
You could select the ends of the sweeps, and edited them to a 90 deg return, making them return at the openings.

select the Wall/sweep, and you see a "Modify Returns come up in the Ribbon.

Thanks Scott,

I didn't realise you could do that on sweeps which were defined as part of the wall.