PDA

View Full Version : Hiding by material?

rsloyer
2010-09-03, 01:41 PM
I have a structural Revit model that includes steel (columns, beams, catwalks, joists, roof decking) and concrete (tilt panels, slabs, and footings). I'm wondering if there is an easy way to simply hide all of the steel, or hide all of the concrete.

Captainkb
2010-09-03, 01:58 PM
I have a structural Revit model that includes steel (columns, beams, catwalks, joists, roof decking) and concrete (tilt panels, slabs, and footings). I'm wondering if there is an easy way to simply hide all of the steel, or hide all of the concrete.

Visibility/Graphic Overrides - VV short-cut

or make a crossing window and filter by elements and Element Hide or hide in view

Use the Filter command and filter by structural framing and columns.

Hide just the concrete, ummm depends on how it was created? footings are they walls or structural components? like wall foundations or a foundation slab? Easy to hide these, but if they are just walls with a bearing structural usage applied, a bit difficult than.

If some of the misc. steel is created with the correct families than hide the families with VV, or if the misc. steel is a generic model, than a bit more difficult to hide just the elements you want and not other generic models.

rsloyer
2010-09-03, 02:15 PM
That's basically what I've been doing. Was hoping there was an easier way. It would be nice if the program would just understand the material of an object and make that a parameter than can be hidden.

The problem I have is that there are both concrete and steel columns, both concrete and steel beams, etc. So if I use VG and hide the beams I lose both elements. Same thing if I "hide category" when I'm clicking on, for example, a grade beam and all of the steel beams disappear at the same time.

Captainkb
2010-09-03, 03:19 PM
That's basically what I've been doing. Was hoping there was an easier way. It would be nice if the program would just understand the material of an object and make that a parameter than can be hidden.

The problem I have is that there are both concrete and steel columns, both concrete and steel beams, etc. So if I use VG and hide the beams I lose both elements. Same thing if I "hide category" when I'm clicking on, for example, a grade beam and all of the steel beams disappear at the same time.

Maybe try and use worksets to hide elements?

cliff collins
2010-09-03, 03:38 PM
Using Filters is the best practice for controlling display of various objects/categories
as you describe.

cheers

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-03, 03:39 PM
Worksets are a lousy Visibility tool.

Use Filters. Filter Structural Framing by assembly code, or my Family Name, and have it select and hide all of the steel framing members. Rinse and repeat for columns or whatever else.

Ning Zhou
2010-09-03, 03:39 PM
is filter by material possible in 2011? i mean not using project or shared parameter, if not, then why cannot Autodesk adding OOTB material parameters into filter by list?

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-03, 04:08 PM
My initial guess is because Revit doesnt treat sandwiched assembly visibility as part, just parcel. I wish it was more like Navis, where we could filter smaller than individual elements in to Materials and sub elements...