PDA

View Full Version : Void in Stair

craighowie
2010-09-04, 01:03 PM
Hi.

How would one go about cutting a circular hole directly through the middle of a staircase? Like the attached?

It that possible?
Thanks
Craig

dhurtubise
2010-09-04, 04:32 PM
Hi.

How would one go about cutting a circular hole directly through the middle of a staircase? Like the attached?

It that possible?
Thanks
Craig

First im curious to know why? ;-)
You could do it with 2 stairs and a little fudging around to get the plan view ok(lineweork).

craighowie
2010-09-06, 07:23 AM
The reason is because I have a column going through the middle of a stair, see attached (The stair is part of some grandstand spectator seating)

Okay so the answer is basically you cannot cut a hole/void through a single stair! Hole/Void can only be achieved using 2 stairs.

Thanks,
Craig

dandlf
2010-09-07, 06:19 AM
I thought a shaft opening or similar may be able to create the void, but it seems that 2 stairs may be your best bet.

Craig_L
2010-09-07, 06:23 AM
Wouldn't a column just go right through anyways?

Unless you need a void around the column as per the image in the dandf's post, I would assume a column continuous through this stair would just go right through as needed?

patricks
2010-09-07, 05:36 PM
Wouldn't a column just go right through anyways?

Unless you need a void around the column as per the image in the dandf's post, I would assume a column continuous through this stair would just go right through as needed?

The cut/join line between the 2 objects is not present, which really only matters if you see it in 3D or from an elevation view looking at the stair risers. Otherwise I wouldn't even worry about it.

Rana.Hamed
2017-08-08, 06:30 AM
Hi,
how have you done this opening in the stair ?
Shaft opening or any opening type cannot do it with the stair component!!