PDA

View Full Version : Building/foundation first...then toposurface!?

breaksix
2010-09-07, 06:22 PM
Please forgive my ignorance...I am new to using Revit, architecture, buildings in general.

I took a set of Autocad 2D plans and began using Revit to make a simple 3D mockup of the home based on those plans. It was originally just to get an idea of what the building would look like. I started by importing the 2D plans, drew the walls, then the foundations, then the floors, ceilings and then the roof. So I have my 3D mockup, but now I feel I've learned so much in the last few days that I want to keep going.

My question is, can I put the toposurface down after I've already drawn the building? :-D I tried to draw the surface using points, but the foundations of the home are below the surface. Is there any way to adjust either the base level height of the building or the height of the toposurface without starting over?

Yes I am a complete beginner, and I was originally just doing this to help my wife. I've already learned a lot from this forum.

breaksix
2010-09-07, 06:39 PM
OK, since posting, I've discovered how to "move" the toposurface lower. But I suspect my problems are with where I have my levels.

The concrete slab that the house sits on are actually above ground, at 2 separate levels. the are where the door is is lower than the rest of the house, but still above ground.

m20roxxers
2010-09-08, 12:42 AM
Hi and Welcome.

What you need to create is a PAD. This object allows you to cut into the natural toposurface ground level while not burying your footings.

It is essentially a floor that cuts a toposurface..

To change Toposurfaces can be tricky, especially is the project is in the same file as the surface. The easiest way to do this is to modify the service and change the points to the new elevations required. A little annoying but your site looks pretty simple so shouldn't be an issue.

The reason for this is the site is connected a level and then the elevation points are built off that so if you house and site are built upon the same levels then they will move together.. You can create an additonal level that will allow you to control the ground.