PDA

View Full Version : Serious error trying to edit in-place family

patricks
2010-09-08, 02:10 PM
We have a large, complicated renovation project very late in CD's (about to issue bid doc's this week). At 80+ MB and nearly 150 sheets in the set, it is our largest project (drawing-wise) to date.

In the lobby of this building, a user made an in-place family for some metal column covers with reveals at various heights. It was made in-place in order to facilitate quick adjustment of the reveal heights to correspond to other building elements, and also because there are several different conditions for these covers (full surround, 2-sided, 3, sided, pilaster, corner, etc).

Today I noticed that 2 of the solids in the in-place family did not have the same material assigned as the others. When I tried to edit the in-place family, it gave me the serious error warning, and the family editor mode would not open.

This family is detailed and annotated in probably 10-20 views all over the project. It's not a huge deal right now, but if the reveals or something else needed adjustment, what is our course of action? I tried opening the Central file with Audit checked, but that didn't do anything.

cliff collins
2010-09-08, 02:19 PM
Make the in-place family a Group, link it out as a separate Project.
This allows you to edit it separately and not get tangled up while "in the project".

Had a similar situation, and in the heat of a deadline used this process.
Then once the dust settled, Bound it back into the project.

As we all know, in-place families are not ideal, esp. when very complex like your example
sounds.

cheers

patricks
2010-09-08, 02:47 PM
I just noticed this in-place family has 3 model groups inside of it. Wonder if that could be the cause of these issues.

cliff collins
2010-09-08, 02:48 PM
Now you're on to something!

cheers

patricks
2010-09-08, 02:51 PM
Here's the thing, though. I can make the whole in-place family into a group, save it out, edit the in-place and ungroup all the solids in the separate file. But is there an easy way to get said in-place family back into the project without breaking all the dimensions associated to it?