PDA

View Full Version : How much do I know?

gjburkett
2004-12-21, 04:19 PM
Hi all. Some of ya'll may remember my previous thread about deciding if Revit is for me or not. Anyway, I decided to learn it and have been going through the tutorials. I just finshed the "My First Model" tutorial where you create the building with two wings and a passage way in between. I guess my question is about how much would you say I've learned about Revit based on that alone? Is there a lot more I need to know before I can start my first project of my own? Where should I go from here to learn more? Thanks in advance.

Steve_Stafford
2004-12-21, 04:59 PM
...I guess my question is about how much would you say I've learned about Revit based on that alone?..
What is your feeling about Revit right now, having finished that?

Let me direct you to this bit of humorous but very true Perspective (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=3335) You have just gotten your feet wet and should be feeling that the water is fine but your not sure how deep it is.

Now, you should dive into the remain tutorials and go through them as quickly and as far as you see fit. Focus on the features you are likely to use immediately and save the features like worksets and design options for later.

If you have a project that you can tackle that won't give you heartburn to go a little slower on then you could consider doing it with Revit after you've done these other tutorials. A project helps you focus on real world issues like no other method.

Keep at it!

Scott_Bloss
2004-12-21, 05:01 PM
GJBurkett,

Although Revit is fairly easy to get started with, the depth and complexity of the program is very deep. By completing the first model you have learned a fair amount. But I would estimate it is only about 25-35% of what the software can do. I would try and start a real project and post questions here as you run in to snags. I would also recommend professional training from Autodesk.

gjburkett
2004-12-21, 05:49 PM
Thanks guys, that's kind of what I thought. I just finished a house and it's not that big so i figure it would be a great starting point to see how far I can get and, like you said, ask questions here. Hope I don't get flamed for asking a lot of questions. lol

Scott D Davis
2004-12-21, 05:53 PM
Hope I don't get flamed for asking a lot of questions. lol
No way! That's what we're here for!

Steve_Stafford
2004-12-21, 05:54 PM
...Hope I don't get flamed for asking a lot of questions...lolYou might get flamed if you DON'T...but not if you do! 8-) :beer:

Ask away...do your worst...(Monty Python...Black Knight)

Wes Macaulay
2004-12-21, 06:08 PM
I think one thing that would be VERY useful would be some sort of document that lists all of Revit's features so that people can look at the list and see where they're at. I'm working on something like that now but the list keeps getting longer with each release!

Scott_Bloss
2004-12-21, 06:11 PM
I think one thing that would be VERY useful would be some sort of document that lists all of Revit's features so that people can look at the list and see where they're at. I'm working on something like that now but the list keeps getting longer with each release!

Wes,

That is a great idea. I think it would be worth it.

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-12-21, 07:30 PM
That does sound like a great idea Wes but the problem is that Revit is not like 'other' CAD. It's not just a matter of listing the functions or commands. You can draw a line this way or that way, you can draw a circle one of 25 ways!

Revit means a change in the thought process and how one approaches documenting a project. Writing down that process as a step by step guide is really tough. I'm a firm believer in jumping in and doing a project. There will be things you do that could have been done a better, smarter, faster way, but that's all part of the learning process. Sometimes you might end up actually recreating portions of a project because there was a much cleaner way of doing it that allows greater flexibility later in the process. In most cases Revit allows you the time to be able to do that.
Dive in, try to get a project with a flexible time line, and learn as you go. If you wait until you 'know it all' you'll never get started. The forum is always here as an unfailing resource and support network.
Good Luck

gjburkett
2004-12-21, 07:55 PM
Thanks guys.

Hell, I'm glad I didn't get flamed by not mentioning the search function. I'm all about the search function and I use it with every board I go to. However, some boards are really anal and no matter what you ask, they'll say something like, "Did you search" and they list like 5 topics about the same thing you asked about. Sometimes I don't know how to word my search so it's easier to start a new one and sometimes I'm in an absolute hurry and I know people are always here ready to respond quickly. That makes for a good BBS and I'm happy to have found this one because, from I can tell, no one cares about asking a question that's been covered before. :) Fact is, I do search the forums a lot if I have the time and I know a way to search for it. That's usually not the case when I'm starting out. As I get more into it and feel more comfortable, I'll search a lot more often as well.

Wes Macaulay
2004-12-21, 10:13 PM
That does sound like a great idea Wes but the problem is that Revit is not like 'other' CAD. It's not just a matter of listing the functions or commands. You can draw a line this way or that way, you can draw a circle one of 25 ways!Too true mate. But we gotta have somethin'!

FK
2004-12-21, 11:10 PM
However, some boards are really anal and no matter what you ask, they'll say something like, "Did you search" and they list like 5 topics about the same thing you asked about.
Happens here too. You just have to grow thick enough skin. For example, contemplate the guys that answer the same question over and over and over and over again. Sometimes they snap at a random newbie.

Scott D Davis
2004-12-21, 11:17 PM
Sometimes they snap at a random newbie.

I think that's happened to me before....:shock: (me: snapping)

Wagurto
2004-12-22, 02:11 AM
I am one of the "newbies" that asked the same question over and over and over. But let me tell you this; I already finish my third porject using revit. I wouldn't make without the help of thiese guys in this forums I am very thankfull for that. The best thing that happend to me after I found out about revit is this forum. I just feel that I know enough to get into my new project without the fear that I will be alone and that the important thing here. I know that I need a lot of thing to learn yet but I am in the right track now and I feel lucky.