PDA

View Full Version : getting rotate command fixed

grudy
2010-09-10, 04:53 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I find the rotate command to be the least convenient command in Revit, and am wondering if anyone is working on this, or has found a way to make a macro to solve the issue. I don't think I need to explain why it is bad, but I will anyway: Having to drag the rotate icon to the center of rotation means significant lost productivity. As soon as you type "ro" you should be asked to define a center of rotation. No one uses the actual centroid of an object as the rotational center. Additionally, not having not option for "copy multiple" means that you have to keep using the rotate command if you want multiple copies. Finally, there needs to be an angular array function.

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-10, 05:08 PM
Several of us have asked that Rotate initially ask for a "click" for the center, instead of assuming the centroid.

Rotate multiple, yes... Would be nice.

There is, however, a polar array command already. Its the same array command, if you look in the option bar.

MikeJarosz
2010-09-10, 06:38 PM
I am currently creating a classically inspired dome and colonnade. This task is giving rotate a real workout. I agree that rotate multiple would be an improvement, but I think a better way to indicate the center definitely needs to be found.

Yes, the array command does have a polar array option and I use it almost as much. Here are the results:

dhurtubise
2010-09-10, 07:21 PM
I am currently creating a classically inspired dome and colonnade. This task is giving rotate a real workout. I agree that rotate multiple would be an improvement, but I think a better way to indicate the center definitely needs to be found.

Yes, the array command does have a polar array option and I use it almost as much. Here are the results:

Too many clicks, i love the drag tool if i need it. I dont like the idea to be force to pick a center.
And honestly, theres more important issues right now ;-)

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-10, 08:16 PM
Youre forced to pick a center 95% of the time youre doing real work anyway, because the center as absolute, in 3 directions, is very rarely the hierarchal "center."

And regarding the UI and issues like this, its been clocked: More clicks doesnt always equal slower.

Gadget Man
2010-09-11, 06:28 AM
... And honestly, theres more important issues right now ;-)

I can't imagine anything more important than fixing the bad designed functionality, that should be fixed sooooo many releases ago. Probably just on par with fixing bugs - old, very old and ancient, as well as introduced with the latest release...

Fixing of such a basic function like to be able (at least) to choose which way I (the user) prefer this tool to work (i.e. should it pick the absolute center for me or should let me pick it) has the top priority in my book because it affects the basic everyday operations of many people.

As it was stated many times by now - I would give another year's subscription just to have everything fixed and working as it should, rather than have an ounce of the new functionality or (worst still) any new user interface introduced...

patricks
2010-09-13, 03:19 PM
It's really bad when you want to rotate a large object like a site survey, and you have to zoom WAYYYYY out to find the rotate center. Sometimes it's hard to find on a really dense survey, especially with the rotate line being so short when you're zoomed way out.

A simple Ctrl-Click to automatically put the rotate center where you want it would be just glorious.

MikeJarosz
2010-09-13, 04:59 PM
It's really bad when you want to rotate a large object like a site survey, and you have to zoom WAYYYYY out to find the rotate center.

The first CAD system I used was not Autodesk. It had many unique features that Autodesk ought to consider. No only did we meet with them and tell them so, they actually hired some of our staff to contribute ideas to Acad. One of those features that didn't make the cut was a user defined snap. The user could pick a point and make it a real snap. It could even be put in the project .ini file. The way we used it was mostly for the center of huge circles that were part of site design. Not only did it work when the point was in the view, but more importantly, when it was not in the view (and consequently not in the display list). I remember doing a semi circular parking ramp with the center like half a mile away.

Another advantage is that you always got the exact same point. How many times have you picked slightly different point and wound up with a mess at the other end of the half mile radius?

There is probably no reason Revit couldn't do the same thing. Here are some other snap ideas:

snap to 0,0,0
snap to object centroidThere were others, but maybe not important to an object-oriented program like Revit.

DaveP
2010-09-13, 07:07 PM
Agreed that you have to move the center almost every time, but I don't think the answer is to force you to locate it. If, when you create a Family, you could specify the Insertion Point, I think that would take care of half the problems.
When you select more than one object, or Rotate something that's not a Family, it might not be a bad idea to always ask for a Rotation Point, but for Families, let me define it in the Family and not (necessarily) ask.

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-13, 08:09 PM
I dont know why the default option for Single Families isnt always the Origin of the family, instead of the centroid, anyway. Personally, i wish it asked for a click all the time. The slowdown to zoom in and make sure youve got the rotation center selected, whenever its NOT about the origin, takes up more time than an intentional click would, by far. Especially if youve got an intense model with a lot of other items around.

wmullett
2010-09-13, 08:24 PM
In essence, Revit is asking you for the center point - you just have to drag it there.

I really don't mind this except in very large objects... it sometimes is advantageous when you picked more than you thought and the center is where????

Alex Page
2010-09-13, 09:06 PM
Id be happy if the foolowing two things happened:
1. Families rotation centre default to there origin
2. For general rotation no change EXCEPT that when you move the rotationpoint, it remembers the new point: even if for just that one session of Revit (like it remembers the temporay dimensions now). I find the biggest pain is doing multiple rotations (for what ever reason) and having to change the rotation centre everytime

twiceroadsfool
2010-09-13, 09:10 PM
In essence, Revit is asking you for the center point - you just have to drag it there.

I really don't mind this except in very large objects... it sometimes is advantageous when you picked more than you thought and the center is where????

Right, so if its asking anyway, whats the difference if you have to click to tell it?

Id be interested to get an honest count from people, if they were to start keeping track: Of the next hundred times you use rotate, how many is the default placement actually correct?

And those that want it to be the Family's origin: What does it do when you select a System Family, or multiple objects?

jeffh
2010-09-13, 09:54 PM
This subject strikes me as a bit funny.

I am reluctant to admit, but the first 4 or 5 projects I worked on in Revit way back when, I did not even know I COULD drag the center of rotation. I was so used to specifiing the center of rotation, the throught never crossed my mind to drag the control somewhere else. :Oops:

I have overcome my problems now. :lol:

Alfredo Medina
2010-09-13, 10:30 PM
...I have overcome my problems now. :lol:

And by "now" you mean... now, just now? :)

jeffh
2010-09-13, 10:37 PM
And by "now" you mean... now, just now? :)

I am well past my first 4 or 5 projects at this point. ;)

I suspect if we went back and looked the rotation thing was the least of my boneheaded moves. I can think of one particularlly ugly solution I came up with for a retaining wall, and another for a split level plan before I had a handle on plan regions and view range. :Oops:

Those projects are long gone of course. I don't even think you could find them in an archive if you tried. :p

gordolake
2010-09-13, 11:19 PM
Ahhhh autocad grips, how i miss thee. :)

What a great tool for quick editing. Click on an object, pick any part of the geometry highlighted y a blue box and toggle through the basic edit commands with the space bar (stretch, move, rotate & SCALE). With an option to change the base point and copy.

No need to issue any command by menu or keyboard. Fast and intuitive editing.

my 2bits worth.

iru69
2010-09-13, 11:22 PM
I've been hoping they'd "fix" the rotate command since I started using Revit six years ago.

I'm also of the opinion that these are the kind of "fixes", the "little" usability fixes, that would mean way more to us than most of the "new" stuff that gets added to each release.

Gadget Man
2010-09-13, 11:44 PM
... I'm also of the opinion that these are the kind of "fixes", the "little" usability fixes, that would mean way more to us than most of the "new" stuff that gets added to each release.

The only problem with this for Autodesk is that it wouldn't mean anything to the potential new clients. From what I can see over the years, the priority here is not to please the existing clientelle but to sell the product to the new people. To have them "under the belt" so to speek - more the merrier... And if there are NO new gimmicks new users may not be oh-so-impressed... And don't worry about... what? just a few... hundreds of bugs... They (the new clients) won't know it untill they buy the product... And by then they are hooked - they spent their BIG money, so they don't have any real choice...

It's been proved time and time again - even admited to by Autodesk themselves - more support requests a particular problem/bug/bad functionality will create, more attention and higher priority it will get at the Factory... So in other words, old bugs/problems/flaws will have a chance of being fixed only if we whinge enough about them. So much for the after sale customer care... Oooops, sorry... there is NO after-sale... They keep taking our money over and over again so the process of sale is never ending... It's called "subscription" and yes, I know, it's not compulsory... So isn't the usage of Revit in the first place... So isn't working as a draftsman either... But that's far beyond the point.

Wes Macaulay
2010-09-14, 03:56 PM
We've visited this again
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=37136

and again
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=100751

and again

How hard can it be to implement a change here??